Information For All Brewers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jase, they still need gravity to transfer, but they start the syphon. Sounds like you need a March pump.

I put that bit in for you, Pumpy. I remember all the issues you had with yours. Basically, some people find they introduce air into the beer/wort when syphoning but that's not an issue I find a problem. The only issue is getting the hose on to the end of the syphon.

reviled, they are slightly more fussy, but then I don't get as much yeast going through as I used to when I just used the tap. For me that's worth the hassle. And you're absolutely right about not transferring hot wort. I wonder how we both know that. :rolleyes:

reviled, they are slightly more fussy, but then I don't get as much yeast going through as I used to when I just used the tap. For me that's worth the hassle. And you're absolutely right about not transferring hot wort. I wonder how we both know that.

Agree you would get way less yeast.. I started using gelatine for this reason which works well for me :)

With the whole hot wort thing, I put it down to a design fault, that stupid plastic clip in bit that goes up and down, if they just made it out of something decent so the fricking stupid thing didnt bloody pop out cos of the heat, everything would be fine :angry: Ive tried to get it clipped back in, but never have any luck... I got about 4 of em replaced by the HBS untill they said I must be doing something wrong, but it doesnt say on the packaging it CANT be used for hot liquid.. :angry:

Rant off :rolleyes: lol

Ah, no, I had a different issue which was pretty easy to tell was from the heat. Mine turned into a banana syphon. :lol:

Ah, no, I had a different issue which was pretty easy to tell was from the heat. Mine turned into a banana syphon. :lol:

Really? I found that plastic was fairly durable, it was just that bloody little clip, and it kept happening <_<

I had the inside part warp slightly, but not the outside bit...

A member of my club, who I really respect and is a veritable wellspring of knowledge has recommended that things like the auto-syphon are replaced every year. The reason is that you'll notice that the hard plastic will develop tiny cracks - they can harbour bacteria and are virtually impossible to properly sanitise. I used to have one but have since changed my procedure a bit and no longer need it. It developed cracks even though I thought I handled it carefully. This person actually negotiated a deal with one of our sponsor HBS - current club members can exchange their old racking canes for only $2.

The stuff that should be changed yearly is pretty much all plastic or vinyl hoses that touch your wort after the boil. This is probably partly paranoid ramblings, partly wise advice. All I know is that the few $ it costs is well worth my time and $ invested in ingredients.

Off-Topic: The auto-siphon sounds good to me, having a crook back that cripples me from time to time, it's a potentially damaging excercise to lift 20+ litre fermenters in and out of my plastic tub water cooler in order to tap-off into secondary, then lift that fermenter back into the tub. Whereas if I had a second cooling tub, I could do it side-by-side, and the only lifting I would need to do is when Im ready to bottle.

Quote: Engineer your brew system so you never have to use an Auto Syphon

Pumpy, why do you say that, what are the disadvantagaes to an auto-siphon, apart from another device to clean ?

Sorry for the OT, but this probably doesnt warrant a whole new thread.

Jayse i had a bad experience with my Auto Syphon.

so I ferment and filter my beer straight into the keg saves double handling and excessive oxidation of the beer no need any more for a syphon .

Life is a dream since i went this way
Trust me if you are brewing any other way you are making life so much difficult for yourself .

Pumpy:)

filter11.jpg

A cure has now been developed for both HERMS and RIMS :lol:

Back