Info On Munich Helles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I would like to brew a munich helles, and while i have the vital statisics, i would like to know what malts, and hops to use in what quantities. It will have to be pils based ( i dont have much munich ), and i will be using whitelabs german bock yeast.

An info would be appreciated fella's.

mje1980 said:
I would like to brew a munich helles, and while i have the vital statisics, i would like to know what malts, and hops to use in what quantities. It will have to be pils based ( i dont have much munich ), and i will be using whitelabs german bock yeast.

An info would be appreciated fella's.
[post="72976"][/post]​

mje,
Munich helles is a delicate style and quite hard to get right. I would stick with nearly all pils malt. Light munich malt (just a touch) would add some coulour and complexity. You don't want too much malt flavour/aroma for the style. All saaz hops to about 25 IBU.
Most importantly a big, clean starter, and cool ferment is the go.
It is hard to hide any flaws in this style of beer.
have fun
Darren

my rough draft so far is

81.6% Bo pils
12.2% light munich
2% toasted german pils
4.1% Cara pils.

Hallertau bittering 12.1 IBU's
Spalt finishing ( 30 mins ) 5.7%

White labs german bock lager

5.5 SRM
17.8 IBU's
5% alc.

I am after something on the malty side, what do you think??

mje1980 said:
my rough draft so far is

81.6% Bo pils
12.2% light munich
2% toasted german pils
4.1% Cara pils.

Hallertau bittering 12.1 IBU's
Spalt finishing ( 30 mins ) 5.7%

White labs german bock lager

5.5 SRM
17.8 IBU's
5% alc.

I am after something on the malty side, what do you think??
[post="73010"][/post]​

looks like a good quaffer

I always check out the BJCP style guidelines to see if the recipe fits the guidelines.

tdh

Good Day
I usually make 2 to 3 helles a year.
The following one scored 111/150 at this years Bathurst Comp so I am very happy with it

OG 1.050, FG 1.014, IBU 20, BUGU 0.4 Alcohol 5%, 22 litres in the fermenter.

4.7 kg pils (German)
300 gms melanoidan
100 gms torrified wheat (can be left out)
50gms acid malt
Mittelfruh hops 4.7% 20 gms FWH, 20 gms 80 mins, 7 gms 5 mins.

Mashed at 67oC for 90 mins.

WLP San Fran yeast.

Hope this helps.

Barry, i have seen acid malt used in a few pils recipes, what does it do to the beer??. I do have melanoiden but it is all going in my next dunkel. I have torrified wheat so i may throw a touch in there, is it for head retention??.

tdh said:
I always check out the BJCP style guidelines to see if the recipe fits the guidelines.

tdh
[post="73035"][/post]​

I would be comparing to a commercial beer rather than the BJCP...The BJCP seem to change as the years go buy to accomadate Comps..... As the IBU's go up and the Gravity goes up, so do as it seems the guidelines go up?????

Now the hard Part is finding a good commercial beer to compare it to

Good Day
Yes the TW is for head retention and the acid malt helps with the mash pH. neither of them are essential.

Back