Info: Malt Shovel Kits Sold At Big W

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat

Reaction score
Just FYI, I saw that there are now Malt Shovel kits sold at big W, as well as their starter pack. They are selling the oatmeal stout, 2 rows lager and Pale Ale, $14.12. Can't recall the price of their starter kit, sorry.

Just mentioning it because up until now as far as I know they were only available in brewshops.

That's a nice price. About a year ago, I made up a couple cans of their two row lager. It was one of the best beers I've made to date.

Cheers :)

Yeah I saw them in Big W not too long ago. They only make 11.5 litres though which is a bummer.

Still probably gonna try one out. It would be awesome if they released a Porter kit.

:beer:

The Malt Shovel / Tooheys web site have these listed for just over $18.00

A HB store in Melb ebayed a whole lot of Malt shovel kits for almost 1/2 price because the yeast provided was or had expired. Cann't remember the name of the shop off the top of my head

MWS

I brought a summer wheat from BigW. First up the german hefe yeast (dry) was somewhat dead! and I have better kick offs from culturing from the bottle. The summer wheat as dark as a porter! I did email Malt Shovel that I thought their product may not have been treated the best in shipping transport etc (eg it was off) but never had a response. It does not make me want to run out and buy more!

ryanator said:
Yeah I saw them in Big W not too long ago. They only make 11.5 litres though which is a bummer.
[post="69948"][/post]​

11.5L x 2 = 23L :)

PZ.

for $28 (2 MSB kits at Big W), I'd prefer to add four bucks and get an ESB fresh wort kit :) Of course if you pay postage it's more expensive, but we're lucky to have them available in Melbourne (grain and grape).

Is there any problem with making up such a small kit in a standard size carboy? Wouldn't mind grabbing one to make some sort of beer that I wouldn't necessarly want to bother with 23l of normally.

SpaceMonkey,
I once made up one of these kits in a standard sized fermentor. No problems at all.
Made up the Pale ALe. Nice beer. A bit pricey though.

johnno

Stoodoo said:
That's a nice price. About a year ago, I made up a couple cans of their two row lager. It was one of the best beers I've made to date.

[post="69940"][/post]​

That 2-Row Lager was the best 2 can batch I have ever tasted & that includes a few of the 2 can Muntons Range. :)

Tidalpete said:
Stoodoo said:

[post="69940"][/post]​

That 2-Row Lager was the best 2 can batch I have ever tasted & that includes a few of the 2 can Muntons Range. :)

[post="71043"][/post]​

Don't know about the 2-Row Lager, but i'd have to say the Deep Roast is better than the Muntons 2 can Porter...

kitkat said:
for $28 (2 MSB kits at Big W), I'd prefer to add four bucks and get an ESB fresh wort kit :) Of course if you pay postage it's more expensive, but we're lucky to have them available in Melbourne (grain and grape).
[post="70676"][/post]​

and on top of that wouldnt you also need 2 x booster packs... or kg of DME etc...?
gets pretty damn pricey for 23L brew :blink: :eek:

Actually you dont need the booster pack with the MSB kits,

What they have done is a little but of clever marketing, you can use 1 can and get a 11.5 ltr brew of full strenght beer, or use 2 cans and get a full batch......Its just the same as using 1 can of coopers, wanders, brewcrap, whatever.......

On the same note you can use 1 can of MSB and a booster and get a 23 ltr 1040 brew...

DOnt be fooled by marketing

ozbrewer Posted Today, 02:12 AM

On the same note you can use 1 can of MSB and a booster and get a 23 ltr 1040 brew...

Of course, I can of MSB kits in 23l halves the bitterness, flavour, etc.

Not really recommended just for saving a few pennies.
:chug:

yes.....as i say, just the same as using any other kit

ozbrewer said:
Actually you dont need the booster pack with the MSB kits,

What they have done is a little but of clever marketing, you can use 1 can and get a 11.5 ltr brew of full strenght beer, or use 2 cans and get a full batch......Its just the same as using 1 can of coopers, wanders, brewcrap, whatever.......

DOnt be fooled by marketing
[post="71067"][/post]​

Ah ok, so they're kinda like the ESB 3kg tins where everything's in the tin, except half the size? Not too bad in that case, might try a two-can of the two row lager at some point given the reccomendations. Anyone tried the oatmeal stout? I was thinking of making up a single batch of it as I'm not a big stout drinker but it would be nice to have some around on occaision. Then again given that stout ages well maybe I'd be better off making 18-20l and letting it last me a year or so!

a stout or porter is always handy...!
get brewin

Latest posts

Back