Info About Electric Elements For Boilers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbonator

Reaction score
I don't know if there is an article already on the subject, but I was speaking to a guy who owns an element company, (no affil), and has done for many, many years. I got to asking many questions and in particular, I picked his brain about burning or scorching matter in liquids when heating them with high wattage elements.

I was talking about "on the shelf" stuff and how it tends to burn/scorch/bake whats in the mix. The first thing he suggested was going away from high turnover water heater elements and sourcing elements that are "oil rated".

This is all about 2 post (wire connections) elements only.

Next thing we talked about was if you cant afford Oil rated, then exploring elements that may be 10 mm in diameter instead of the standard 8 mm or getting elements that are longer and re-shaping them (they are pliable). The elements have an output rating for a specific surface area, so the longer the element, the lower the heat per square CM. So if you have a 2400W "fold-back" element with a length of 900 mm, compared to a circular one with a length of 1500 mm, the shorter one will heat-up faster, burn the mix and not have as long a life as the longer element and should prevent burning/scorching the mix.

We also talked about different materials these elements were made with.
Incalloy coated sheath, like the ones for your water heater and stove (different story for stove though), then there is the chrome plated copper sheathed type. They are both pliable, but they must not be bent very close to the ends, where the wires are spot welded onto them, or the joiun will fail.

I'm not affilated, but because of the time and advice given, I got to give his business a plug. He said must of his business is country folk and he will do mail orders to anyone in Aus. Keith owns the place and it's called Barlings Elements in Victoria, 03 9555 2612. I hope people wont bug him with silly questions and he suggested Tuesdays to Thursdays are the best days to call for advice.

I hope this can assist you guys looking into going electric for your boilers! B)

Back