Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuchambers

Reaction score
Hey All

On the 8th of April I brewed and pitched yeast into an SMASH pale ale, 100% ale malt and 100% summit hop. The yeast used was 1272 American Ale II, I grew a starter that was made from a smack pack I had previously split.
After 4 days of fermenting I added my dry hop addition and all looked normal. I have gone back to look at brew today thinking it would be starting to clear and this is what I have found.

photo 1-6.JPG

photo 2-6.JPG

The brew has been sitting in a fridge with temp control for cooling, however down here in Tassie it has been pretty cold of late. The STC says 10*C while the little sticker on the fermentor says 14-16*C. It has been fermenting for about 2 weeks I would have thought that the yeast would have dropped by now i know the cold will slow things but the temp of fermentor was up around 18 for the first few days at least.

Does this look like an infection or just some crazy yeast hanging around.

Cheers Stu

I was worried I have never seen yeast so creamy on the top of a ferment like that is looks kind of ropey.
I just took a gravity reading and it is down to 1.015 my numbers said it should finish around 1.017 so i guess it is done.
Will this yeast drop out in time

Time and cold should see it drop.

Does it taste like unconditioned beer? If you're sure it's finished, give it a couple more days then whack it in the fridge for 3-7 days.

Back