Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

has anyone had a lager that smelled like raw sausages or beef in the secondary?? :huh:

If so, what did you do?? :eek:

Can it be saved?? :(

Preferrably something you've actually done yourself :blink:

HELP

Linz

I've had some pretty off-smelling beers that turned out great. It can depend on the type of yeats you've used and the ingredients in the beer. I reckon you should taste some then decide if it's infected. Also, check that there's no mould around the top of the fermenter and that there's no funky strands or spots in the brew.

Cheers - Snow.

i have heard that lagers can smell like rottern eggs after the primary but with time the smell fine. maybee this is what is happening with your brew

After talking to Linz last week about his infected brew, I said I had no experience with infected brews.
I then kegged 45 litres of hefeweizen a couple of days later and the first thing that flows out the tap is a little piece of paper covered in green mould spours. Aaaaarrrrrrggghhhhh. WTF ????
I gingerly tasted a sample ( a few hundred mls later) and all seamed fine.
I kegged it into my 45 litre keg.
I tapped the keg tonight and PHEW all is well.
Still don't know where the small piece of paper came from.
Pull the tap apart and all seemed good.
I'm guessing the bit of paper must have been in the bottom of the tap.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Cheers,
Doc

PS: It is 5.7% though and after a few and a hot Hungarian Goulash for dinner I think it may be an early night.

I haven't had that experience, but I did have a moth fall in my porter as I was racking it to the bottling bucket for bulk priming. It fell in while I wasn't looking and swirled around through the brew during the racking. Only when I pulled the siphon out did it float to the top. Anyway, I pulled it out and bottled the beer (wing dust and all) and it turned out to be my best brew yet!

- Snow.

I once had some sort of bug fall in as i was racking after half gravity and pulled it out within seconds no problens was a good pale ale

I helped out a mate on saturday that had a bad infection in his last brew... even after washing his fermenter smelled bad..

we soaked it for about 45 mins with warm water and bleach, but while greatly diminished, the smell was still there... as we had already begun boiling etc, and had no real other choice,... we still chucked it in there.. but we are a bit worried... anyone have any ideas if its going to go evil?

or how to make sure its 100% clean for next time?

If you soaked it in bleach, it should be sterile, so you shouldn't get an infection. Hopefully you won't get the odour imparting to your beer, either. I brewed a ginger beer not long ago, and nothing I did could get the ginger smell out of my fermenter. I brewed a light Aussie Draught in it afterwards and there is no hint of ginger in the beer or the fermenter. Hope this will be the same in your case :)

Cheers - Snow.

Linz said:
has anyone had a lager that smelled like raw sausages or beef in the secondary??
Are you sure you didn't get your hands on the new Deer Roast Ale before it hit the shelves? ?

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Update....

I bottled the "beefy" brew last week. Before I started to bottle I took a sample and the smell had subsided after another four weeks in the fermenter in the fridge.The taste was fine, as it had been the whole time.Another week and I'll give the first bottle a try and let you all know how it turns out. :p :p :p

Well,
Nearly two weeks since I bottled the "Beefy" beer. I'm noticing a "high tide" mark inside the neck of the bottle and little "white" floaties in the top of the beer. Friday is D-day(2 weeks on the dot since bottling) and will have my first taste.
Also having suspicions that the yeast used may have been an ale yeast(used at lager temps) if this isn't infected.Any ideas if ale yeast used at lager temps?

Linz

Back