Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doon

Reaction score
Would an infection cause a brew to become lighter?

Just asking as I did a kits and bits with the Coopers English bitter and although most of them have come out fine, three so far have poured a hell of alot lighter then what the others have and have tasted like arse mixed with cider.

Would an infection cause a brew to become lighter?

Just asking as I did a kits and bits with the Coopers English bitter and although most of them have come out fine, three so far have poured a hell of alot lighter then what the others have and have tasted like arse mixed with cider.

Do you mean lighter in body. If that is the case then yes an infection can do that, chewing up some of the non-fermentable sugers. I would think however that it may also be accompanied with some off flavours.

Sorry i meant lighter in colour

Also just tasted disgusting was cidery, and bready tasting all in one

Must be infection if it is only a few from a whole batch, no idea what specifically though. What is your bottle cleaning and priming procedure?

usually hot rinse all bottles after drinking them, then iodophour and let dry when ready to use. This batch was the first i have bulk primed and have been really happy with the results. Even the ones that were off seem to be carbonated nice, a little bit more then the ones that werent arse tasting.

Not to concerned, just wondering why a few would be bad from the many, but now its looking more like a sanitation issue then anything else

yea probs just a few bottles not clean enough because if it was a prob with the bulk prime all the bottles would be bad presumably. My bottle cleaning is simply a few rinses with cold water after drinking, then iodophor at bottling time, haven't had an infection yet from bottles (only 1 with actual ferment/conditioning/bulk prime).

cheers man

Yeah am actually thinking one of my first brews might have had same issue as it is tasting the same (not as bad) and i just put that down to me stuffing up process but no am thinking sanitation issue

every brew from then till now has been perfect though, oh well shit happens hey

Back