Infection Sources

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
Hi ya all

I seem to be getting a nasty medicinal taste in a a lot of my brews and i think i have narrowed it down to an infection. Last brew i made an excellent starter which tasted fine, aerated with pump. My thinking is that it may be coming from the bottled water i buy to top up with (haven't been doing full owrt boils). I only have a 14L boiler operating although a have keg which is almost converted for the job.

My idea is to do say only an 9L batch (after 20% evap in the boil)and not top up to 15L to see if this is the source of my infection. i have been brewing outdoors and its always windy - should I put a lid on the boiler - could this be a prob?

Would doing a full wort boil be best anyhows)still need to buy the elements.

Any suggestion?
i ahve been using idophor and cleaning very thoroughly although i will review all my other sanitation procedures.

lou said:
Hi ya all

I seem to be getting a nasty medicinal taste in a a lot of my brews and i think i have narrowed it down to an infection. Last brew i made an excellent starter which tasted fine, aerated with pump. My thinking is that it may be coming from the bottled water i buy to top up with (haven't been doing full owrt boils). I only have a 14L boiler operating although a have keg which is almost converted for the job.

My idea is to do say only an 9L batch (after 20% evap in the boil)and not top up to 15L to see if this is the source of my infection. i have been brewing outdoors and its always windy - should I put a lid on the boiler - could this be a prob?

Would doing a full wort boil be best anyhows)still need to buy the elements.

Any suggestion?
i ahve been using idophor and cleaning very thoroughly although i will review all my other sanitation procedures.
[post="60288"][/post]​
Do not put a lid on your boiler - that will get you more nasty flavours not less.

What makes you sure it's an infection? There are lots of possible sources for medicinal flavours - too hot or too long a sparge, chlorines in your water, etc.

lou said:
Any suggestion?
[post="60288"][/post]​

G'day Lou.

What concentrations have you been using your idophor at?

Warren -

Lou,

Do U always clean the tap threads (tap and vessel)?

And do U disassemble the tap to clean it?

I find that a lot of wild yeast problems emanate from here. BTW, wild yeast produces the medicinal taste, but is not the only culprit capable of creating that flavour.

Is it possible that U R propagating yeast that has been contaminated?

A few thoughts. That'll be 2 cents. Send it via Paypal :lol:

Seth

Do not put a lid on your boiler - that will get you more nasty flavours not less.

I would think a lid while chilling is a good thing, while boiling is not. Particularly if there is a lot of breeze.

I must agree. Have you ever looked at your tap after you've done a stout (easier to see cause it's black) and seen how much stays in there after a rinse. Dissassemble is manditory.

Borret :blink:

Borret said:

I would think a lid while chilling is a good thing, while boiling is not. Particularly if there is a lot of breeze.
Um, yeh. I was only thinking in terms of when boiling (since I don't chill in my boiler).

Do U always clean the tap threads (tap and vessel)?

I find that a lot of wild yeast problems emanate from here. BTW, wild yeast produces the medicinal taste, but is not the only culprit capable of creating that flavour.

Is it possible that U R propagating yeast that has been contaminated?

I do clean my taps and tap threads although I will pay more attention to this - also i may soak the whole fermenter in the sink so i can soak the interenal thread of the fermentor .

I am fairly sure its not the yeast - i have had the same problem with dried yeast and a brand new pack of 1084 (although i am leaving this brew for a bit longer to check) the taste actually gets worse over time which makes me think an infection. though not a gusher type infection

What concentrations have you been using your idophor at?

Warren -

I use about a tablespoon / 10- 20L

i have only just started using idophor as i thought it might be bleach causing the off flavour

What makes you sure it's an infection? There are lots of possible sources for medicinal flavours - too hot or too long a sparge, chlorines in your water, etc

Well i am not absolutely sure but - i don' think the chlorine in the water is the cause other brissy brewers using the same water don't seem to have this prob - although i might pick up some camden tablets to neutralise the chloramines next trip to hbs

also the fact that the taste gets worse over time makes me think an infection

want to desperately iron out these probs now i have the AG up and running

lou

Lou,
I would recommend soaking your fermenters (ie fill them to the brim) with a strong chlorine solution. Allow to stand for a few days.
Discard and replace any plastic transfer hoses. Pull the grommet out of your air-lock and also soak your airlock ( I would actually recommend that you don't use air-locks but you probably have a hole in the lid already)
I gave air-locks away years ago. A loose lid works just as well and is easier to sanitise..
Another good way to test your sanitation is to collect a small amount of wort in a sanitised container (PET bottle) prior to pitching. Store it on the bench for a week or so. If it starts to ferment you will need to review your sanitation proceedures.
You can probably nail the problem down to the problem piece of equipment by collecting small amounts of wort at different stages in the process (ie. before chilling, after chilling, before adding top up water, after adding top up water. Just make sure you collect enough in the bottles to be sure you can detect fermentation.
Would also be best to screw the lids on the PET bottles tight. Leave them for a week or so. Signs of ferment would be a release of gas when you loosen the lid.
My bet is the bottled water though!
Water stored in clear plastic bottles ( iam assuming the 11 litre spring water types) will be prone to microbial growth.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Water stored in clear plastic bottles ( iam assuming the 11 litre spring water types) will be prone to microbial growth.
[post="60539"][/post]​
And as a consequence, the manufacturers have been known to chlorinate them quite highly. Medicinal flavours are a characteristic of chlorophenols. Make sure the chlorines are boiled off, chloramines require something like sodium metabisulfite. If you use a bleach sanitiser, it has be rinsed (I don't let bleach anywhere near my beer). Chlorophenols have a very low taste threshold - you don't need much to bugger up a good beer.

sosman said:
Darren said:
[post="60539"][/post]​
And as a consequence, the manufacturers have been known to chlorinate them quite highly.

Yes, but light rapidly breaks down chlorine. I have never tasted or smelled chlorine in bottled water.

Medicinal flavours are a characteristic of chlorophenols.

And wild yeast!

Chlorophenols have a very low taste threshold - you don't need much to bugger up a good beer.

That is true. You can readily compare your off-flavour with chlorophenols.
Simply take a sip of beer and then carefully sniff some bleach, then swallow the beer. It should taste a lot like Dettol.

I discovered this whilst chlorinating my pool and drinking beer at the same time.

[post="60554"][/post]​

Not sure but aren't most bottled waters UV treated as opposed to chlorinated? Would probably pay to read the bottle labels and go for the brands that state this.

That said I guess it's easy for manufacturers to promise anything and deliver something else. <_<

Warren -

Most bottled water is sterilized by ozanolysis.
Tim

Back