Infection or yeast cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacskon

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently brewed a NEIPA. OG was around 1068 and it's currently sitting around 1019. It took a couple days for the air lock to start doing its thing. I used 2 packets of New England East Coast Ale and fermented around 23 - 25 degrees (dont have a fridge to control it better).

It's been 5 days and I took a sample and it's super harsh on the nose. Sour and burning sensations.

I'm thinking it could be that because its taking a massive amount of the yeast cake at the bottom as per the photo below or its infected. What do we think? I dont want to open the fermenter and risk oxidation.

1624579817491.png

Morning Jasckon. So it is now at 72% attenuation with a possible max of 77% (FG 1.015-16) Your fermentation temp is higher than recommended and this yeast does provide esters, so you have plenty of esters I would say as well as alcohol aroma. You mentioned the aroma but not the taste, what does it taste like?

Haven't been game to taste it yet. The samples i take are filled with hop trub and yeast cake.

Doing some more research, my guess is that i fermented at too high temperature.

You are being a bit harsh on yourself this early in the piece Jacskon. First, let the beer finish fermenting and do you plan to dry hop? Second, how will you package the beer, keg or bottle?

I do plan to dry hop but only if the smell / flavour corrects itself. I'll be kegging.

Do make sure that you really clean that tap otherwise you will have an infection, they are great routes in for infection.
Are you going to dry hop in a purged keg, I tend to add some hops just as the OG is about 10 points off final and the rest of the hops when the beer is cooler.
It could be harsh on the nose if still fermenting and you take a good sniff of CO2 coming out.
I certainly wouldn't write it off yet and I would taste it. You might find the warm ferment esters really suit the NEIPA.

Yeah i plan to dry hop in a purged keg but any tips on how to get the dry hops out after 2-3 days without risking oxidation?

You could do another closed transfer to a further purged keg, provided the hops are bagged and you have a screen on your dip tube.
Some people I believe dangle the bag in on a bit of fishing line ( weighted bag ) then open it up and whip it out and reseal and flush again.
I have fermentasaurus so I'm closed from the time the yeast is pitched until it's ready to clean.
I use magnets on the bags but not an option for you but possible next time on the lid of your fermenter.
IMG_20201108_170441.jpg

Notice the fermenter is on a heat pad, have seen some people worry that the yeast gets a little cooked with this method which can be not so tasty.
I think they stick it to the side of the fermenter with a bungee cord.
I use a brew belt that's half way up the vessel.
Milk cartons with frozen water can help to modulate the temperature especially during the heat producing early stages, just close to the side of the fermenter.

Ah the head pad was unplugged. Just too lazy to move it.

I've noticed the FermZilla has an addon which allows you to add hops without opening it up. Seems like a winner!

My only concerns when using magnets are:
a) you're leaving it out in ~20 degrees for several days before using it
b) having a magnet in the brew but this is a much smaller concern.

My only concerns when using magnets are:
a) you're leaving it out in ~20 degrees for several days before using it
b) having a magnet in the brew but this is a much smaller concern.
Hops are fairly anti bug, the fermenter is closed / under pressure if I'm doing a lot of dry hopping.
I have the magnets in vac sealed bags.
My NEIPA have done with kveik so the hops are in 35 celsius for 2 and 5 days.

Back