Infection Looming?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spicks

Reaction score
I recently (Sunday) whipped up a brew, and put it in my laundry to do what it needs to do. Last night was Tuesday and there was still no fermentation visible.

I had a few ants walking up the wall of my carboy, up the side of the lid, but I couldn't see through the lid (it was a bit foggy) whether or not they were going up into the brew. I don't think they got right in there from the little I could see. There was some of the beer syrup on the outside which would have been what got them there in the first place I think.

Anyway, last night I gave the lid an extra twist and yes - it seems the lid wasn't properly sealed, because it started to bubble out the airlock for the first time. It's been going ever since. :huh:

It was only a kit beer, a $15 dollar purchase.

Should I keep going with the brew? Is it likely to be tainted and will I be better off just chucking it down the sink and starting again?

Thanks in advance,

Spicks.

Should be fine. A few brewers don't bother with airlocks, just leave the lid slightly loose.

Latest posts

Back