Infection In The Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I'm having an infection. I kegged and bottled a batch on Friday afternoon and today when I was putting my labels on I noticed these small white/grey clusters in the neck of the bottles. At first I thought they were bubbles on the surface, but now I think they are solids.

Horror :excl:

I checked all my bottles from previous batches and none of them show any of the same signs. It's only 6 Grolsch bottles so as long as the infection, if that's what it is, is only in the bottles I won't be too devastated, but I'm worried that the beer in my keg will be infected too.

Does this seem like something to worry about or not?

I think I'm having an infection. I kegged and bottled a batch on Friday afternoon and today when I was putting my labels on I noticed these small white/grey clusters in the neck of the bottles. At first I thought they were bubbles on the surface, but now I think they are solids.

Horror :excl:

I checked all my bottles from previous batches and none of them show any of the same signs. It's only 6 Grolsch bottles so as long as the infection, if that's what it is, is only in the bottles I won't be too devastated, but I'm worried that the beer in my keg will be infected too.

Does this seem like something to worry about or not?
pics? Interested in some experienced members thoughts for future reference!

I tried to take a photo, but it's not very clear, because there are bubbles and these other bits as well. I have to tilt the bottle to separate the bubbles from the solids.
I'm hoping it's just some dextrose that has floated to the surface and hasn't dissolved yet.
Might have a look at it tomorrow and see if there is any change.

Shake it a little and see if they sink. I've had floaties before and it was benign.

Krausen ring, or possibly Calcium Oxalate deposits. I had a similar problem before I started correcting my water chemistry. My first guess would be a Krausen ring though.

Thanks for your replies, I just checked the bottles and whatever it was has gone. Krausen ring it probably was. Maybe it always happens, I just never check.
It was only because I didn't have time to label my bottles on Friday that I was checking them on Sunday. All good.

I had the same thing in a IPA I did a while back...I made sure those bottles were the last I drank just in case :lol: but they were fine

View attachment 58426

Can't really tell from this pic, I removed the label for a better view and I think what you can see are bubbles but yesterday there was also some "mysterious matter".
Whatever it was has dissolved, as far as I'm concerned, case closed.

Back