Infected Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sav2

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I am just in the process of making my first brew using the coopers diy kit, it was the lager kit that came with it. on day 6 I checked the SG if the brew and it was sitting on 1.020, it looked and smelled fine at this stage. The next day when I went to check the SG again it was on 1.020 again so I thought it's ready to bottle. But then I noticed that the beer had gone a bit hazey, so I opened up the fermenter and noticed a sort of foam on the surface of the brew, it also had a very sharp smell.

Is my brew infected?

Hello fellow brewers,

I am just in the process of making my first brew using the coopers diy kit, it was the lager kit that came with it. on day 6 I checked the SG if the brew and it was sitting on 1.020, it looked and smelled fine at this stage. The next day when I went to check the SG again it was on 1.020 again so I thought it's ready to bottle. But then I noticed that the beer had gone a bit hazey, so I opened up the fermenter and noticed a sort of foam on the surface of the brew, it also had a very sharp smell.

Is my brew infected?

Don't worry.

Chances are you took a big wiff of CO2 from the top of the brew. This will burn the nose hairs.

The foam is most likely the yeast getting on with it after you moved / kicked up some yeast. What temp do you think it has been at? A good chance if it is sitting around the shed etc in winter, the yeast has slowed down somewhat.

1.020 sounds a little high. To avoid bottle bombs, I would warm it up a little and give it a few more days to make sure it's done.

Take another reading in three / four days time, and if it hasn't moved, you should be fine.

I am sure it will be good.

Remember, worrying only hurts the yeasties. They don't like it when we worry

Hello fellow brewers,

Is my brew infected?

Probably CO2 as suggested by malted but unlikely that 1020 is finished. Haze, smell and foam sound like fermenting beer (although hard to tell since we can't taste, smell or see it)

If it was just a kit and a kilo of some kind of sugar or brew enhancer with nothing else, it's almost definitely not finished and is not ready to bottle.

Probably fermenting beer that needs longer.

I have been recording the temperature every day and its been between 22-18, it is a bit outside the recommended temps. I am probably just worrying a bit to much :) first brew and all. Il give it another few days and recheck the SG.

Thanks heaps for the help guys, much appreciated :)

I have been recording the temperature every day and its been between 22-18, it is a bit outside the recommended temps. I am probably just worrying a bit to much :) first brew and all. Il give it another few days and recheck the SG.

Thanks heaps for the help guys, much appreciated :)

try and keep that lid on sav, an easy way to get an infection.....

Back