Induction Motor Wiring Help Needed ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
ok i have this motor it's a single phase 240v induction motor with capacitor start... it's on a small lathe

how do i wire it to get it to run ?

wire 1 & 2 (reds) give me a resistance on the multi-meter

wire 3 & 4 black (3) and yellow (4) give me a weird resistance from the cap i think. each time i reverse the multi-meter probes between 3&4
i assume it is the CAP doing something as the 3&4 wires go to the cap (and via the start run winding?)

there is no response between 2 & 3 or 2 & 4 or 1 & 3 or 1 & 4
and none of these are "earth"

(ignore the black red under the green drawings they are disabled and insulated )

from doing research it seems i need to join wires 1 & 3 as a pair then 2 & 4 as a pair and that should start the motor one way or the other
and to change direction i need to swap 3 & 4 over
but this was on a few wood working / metal type forums

would the start cap winding need to be "on" all the time or on some instantaneous switch ?

i have a real hard time in my mind joining the two reds to live and neutral..... and dont want it to let out the magic blue smoke

thanks for the help

IMG_20130105_105836.jpg

http://www.inverter-china.com/blog/articles/ac-motor/46.html

Your meter will give starnge readings when looking at the cap. Basically as you test for restistance the cap will charge up ( like a battery ) and when you swap the leads it will discharge, giving an indication of "+ pos" resistance.

You basically need to find the 2 terminals that will give resistance of the run winding. You cant measure the resistance of the start winding due to the cap

Hope this is as clear as mud ( or stout :D )

Latest posts

Back