Induction cooktops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milk-lizard84

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used one of these for small batch brewing? Just wondering if they would have enough grunt for a 19l pot.

Yes I have. Yes they do.

I created a whole brewing method based on doing full sized batches on the stove top and the last two houses I've been in have both been induction cooktops.

Be careful of spilling wort, it's difficult to clean off them properly without elbow grease!

Should be right with a 19L pot. I'm currently looking at getting a 3.5kW single element one to heat a 70L kettle.

I was looking at one of those portable induction cooktops. They seem like a good idea and no need for refills for a gas burner.

I use a portable induction cooker witha 19l pot, takes about half an hour to get to mash temp and a bit less to the boil, it gets a good rolling boil though, im pretty happy with it only cost $60 off ebay

Thanks heaps for the link Lord Raja much appreciated. It seems like a good option and a cheap alternative considering how cheap you can pick them up on ebay for.

Plus I like the idea doing small batches for things like smash beers and new recipies.

Milk-lizard84 said:
Plus I like the idea doing small batches for things like smash beers and new recipies.
It does help with the learning curve. However, the down side is that after a while, spending hours in a day to get 9-12 Litres of beer starts to grate on your nerves and you want to be putting out full sized batches.

That's part of what lead me to doing 2 pots on the stovetop - I can knock out a 25L batch comfortably and have pushed it to 38L of a low alcohol bitter.

I think when I get back to Brisbane, I'll probably buy a portable stovetop, because the Mrs hates me doing it in the kitchen (but likes it when I make an AIPA).

Read the first posts of the thread to see how it's done on an indoor 'normal' induction stovetop.

Induction cooktops you need magnetic material like iron layer in the base of pot or it may not work.

Well I purchased one today. Within the description it listed what pots were suitable. A stainless steel pot was on there list so hopefully the 19l big w pot will do the job

Does a fridge magnet stick to a big w 19L have read that is how you can test.How water proof are some of these cheap cook tops some say not for outside use would think that a boil over would be a bigger problem .

I bought a 3100 watt portable induction cooker a few days ago. Just tested it on my 100 litre stainless pot and it works well. To get around the weight restriction you could make a frame that gives you a gap. Going to post up some boil times and pictures as soon as I do my tests. A lot more energy efficient than any other method I am using that is for sure.

wynnum1 said:
Does a fridge magnet stick to a big w 19L have read that is how you can test.How water proof are some of these cheap cook tops some say not for outside use would think that a boil over would be a bigger problem .
No need to test. Many posters here have already said that they're using the Big W pots with success. In fact, I'm soon going to buy a second Big W pot.

Before first use I was stressing about almost everything, but I can report that they work amazingly well. They heat up quickly (even when near full). And boil over really hasn't been an issue whatsoever (particularly as I now BIAB and the height of the water once the bag is removed is nowhere near the top).

I've even tested it for boilover with height of wort maybe only 4-5cm from the rim of the pot and it didn't even go close; the hot break formed (leaving maybe 2-3cm from the rim of the pot), then a rolling boil started, that was it. Perfect.

My only actual worry in my kitchen has been condensation on the rangehood dripping back into the pot. I fixed that by placing a large fan at one end of the kitchen and an open window at the other.

I should add that I will eventually want to go bigger and take it out of the kitchen when I find a space somewhere (and will definitely consider buying a portable induction cooktop when this happens), but for now the 19L Big W pot in the kitchen is incredibly easy (I know I could get bigger volumes into my fermenter, but for simplicity's sake I'm getting ~8.5L into a 10L no-chill cube and pitching yeast directly into the cube the following day. Easy!)

djar007 said:
I bought a 3100 watt portable induction cooker a few days ago. Just tested it on my 100 litre stainless pot and it works well. To get around the weight restriction you could make a frame that gives you a gap. Going to post up some boil times and pictures as soon as I do my tests. A lot more energy efficient than any other method I am using that is for sure.
How did you go?

Back