India Pale Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.
Reaction score
So I tried activating a Wyeast Bohemian Lager smackpack about a week ago, nothing happened for about four days (pack was about 7 months from manufacture date) but then it took off.

I've made a starter and want to make a IPA but using the lager yeast (IPL?) and ferment at Lager temps..

Anyone done this or similar and if yeah how'd it turn out?

Cheers,

Jud

If it is an american ipa it will be just as good as an ale. If an english you will be lacking the yeast character. May take a bit of time to clear up but it can't be any worse than us-05. I've never used that particular strain. If you are dry hopping I'd keep in mind the temperature you are doing it at and adjust the dry hopping time. Dry hop flavour infuses quicker at higher temps, but higher temps can speed up grassy flavours

The hops will render any yeast character untasteable.

It will be popular with the masses but the purists will hate it and blame it for the demise of test craft beer

Fermenting:
Kegged: Saison, Sour Orange Saison, Knees Up Mother Brown Ale
Bottled: Mixed Berry Lambic 3.9%, White Chocolate Bock 6.1%, Choc Sour Orange Belgian 6.4%
**** mate you have some wild shit on your brew sheet!

I like the cut of your jib. :icon_offtopic:

The hops will render any yeast character untasteable.

I figured as much, I'd actually given up on the pack swelling,

only ever used liquid yeast about half a dozen times and never had one take more than a day to start swelling.

I had already planned an IPA with us-05 but seeing as the pack took off, figured I may as well use it..

Back