Increasing Mash pH

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I’ve done a few AG brews now and the mash pH has always been on the low side, but close enough to not adjust anything. I’m probably only a couple of brews away from a RIS, which is going to push the pH down even further, at a time I want it to be higher to suit the style.

So, how do you effectively add baking soda to the mash? I can’t see sprinkling it on top of the mash will work its way through a big grain bill very quick. Perhaps dissolve it in water first.

Am I correct that adding baking soda to the strike water just before dough in doesn’t increase the resulting mash ph, and that the baking soda has to be added to the mash after dough in?

I need to get a water profile calculator going, but in the mean time, is there a formula to work out how much baking soda to use to raise the pH?

Cheers

I think you have to use a profile calculator. They aren't as bad as they look. I use Brewersfriend free version it seems okay.
I just add any in mash additions between the mash pipe and the kettle wall and then rinse it down using the recirc flow, rather than onto the mash. Then I retest after another 10 minutes.
Not sure if that's the right way just seemed a bit more logical. I think you use a brewzilla 65 so this should be possible.

I’m far from a water chemistry expert, so can’t comment on if using sodium bicarbonate is a good idea, however worth bearing in mind that baking soda/baking powder both contain Na2HCO3 but they’ve often got other ingredients in there as well, which may adversely affect your beer.

JD

I think baking powder is bicarb and an acid ? tartaric.

Think that baking soda is just bicarb ( according to the side of my packet ).

Chalk is perhaps a better choice, any that isnt used up in the reaction will precipitate as a solid and not get carried forward in your process.
Bicarbonate (NaHCO3) is fully water soluble so it can be added at any time. It or more often Potassium Bicarbonate can even be used to fine tune finished beer pH, added post fermentation, more often in Cider making than brewing but its surprising how much difference even small changes to the finished pH of a beer can make to its flavour.
Braukaiser has a good little experimental on getting Chalk into solution, worth a read. As is some information on RA (Residual Alkalinity). Too much Sodium will bring a salty note to the flavour profile; Chalk is a Calcium salt so that’s not an issue.

Just a note of caution, if you are going to start making basic additions (Base as apposed to Acid), get a pH meter. A half decent one can be had for under $40. Only add about half of what you think you will need, check the pH, add more as needed.
Mark

Just a note of caution, if you are going to start making basic additions (Base as apposed to Acid), get a pH meter. A half decent one can be had for under $40. Only add about half of what you think you will need, check the pH, add more as needed.
Mark

Hey MHB, do you have a link or info on a half decent pH meter at that price? I'm keen to look into water a bit further but thought I'd need to spend a bit more. Would love to know if there's something decent at a cheapish price.
Cheers mate.

The one from Kegland looks like its pretty good value for the price ($36).
I have had a play with one, I would get a spare tip for it, make sure you calibrate it every brew day and in all seriousness don’t expect it to last for more than a year. That applies to most pH meters, or more correctly to the probe part. Especially if you go sticking them into hot wort - that kills them quick.
pH control will really help your brewing.
Mark

Last edited:
The one from Kegland looks like its pretty good value for the price ($36).
I have had a play with one, I would get a spare tip for it, make sure you calibrate it every brew day and in all seriousness don’t expect it to last for more than a year. That applies to most pH meters, or more correctly to the probe part. Especially if you go sticking them into hot wart - that kills them quick.
pH control will really help your brewing.
Mark

I bought the KL one, i think its a Beverage Doctor clone (or renamed idk) for the few times i have used it, it has worked well. I keep the buffer solution in a cheap jar, it keeps really well if you keep the tip clean between use and calibration.

I normally take a wort sample in a small cup, chuck it in the freezer for about 30 minutes for it to cool down and test once its at about 20°, it does have automatic temperature compensation but like a refractometer it gets a bit out of whack at higher temps.

Last edited:
Cheers Mark. I appreciate the reply 👍🏽
I will look into one. Thanks.

I believe it’s difficult to dissolve Chalk, hence why so many people use baking soda. Maybe I should get some and see for myself.

The KegLand pH meter is ok, gets the job done. It has to be calibrated every brew day otherwise the readings are quite erroneous.

Chalk is insoluble well practically and that’s part of the reason for using it, as above read Braukaiser and what Kai has to say on the subject.

Same applies to most every pH meter, even very good ones need calibrating at least daily in a regular lab environment where they are used all the time. Make sure the electrode is stored wet and if you don’t calibrate before use its just a random number generator.
Mark

Just my tip, put the mug or cup in freezer first. Then take it out and add the wort.. It cool a lot quicker.

I'm writing with some ignorance here - you're attempting to hit an exact pH value by adding something alkaline? A couple of thoughts:
(i) how do you know you're far enough away from the "right" pH to make a difference? You'd need a well-calibrated pH meter to know. And any pH between about 5.2 and 5.6 will be fine.
(ii) I always trust the Beer Gods to sort out my pH. I do measure it, but don't get fussed if it looks a bit low. If it's a bit high, I worry, because I've done something wrong.
(iii) I help the Beer Gods by making sure that my water is appropriate to the style before I start. For the pale ales I brew that often means increasing calcium levels by adding a smidgeon (a technical term) of calcium chloride.
(iv) if you insist on adding sodium bicarbonate, as Mark/MHB suggests, don't add it all at once. I'd go further and suggest that you add what you think you need to half a cup of water (dissolve it), then add it a teaspoon at a time, stirring in between. Buffer reactions (you're fighting one) have a habit of doing nothing, doing nothing, doing nothing, almost there, whoops gone too far.

I'm writing with some ignorance here - you're attempting to hit an exact pH value by adding something alkaline? A couple of thoughts:
(i) how do you know you're far enough away from the "right" pH to make a difference? You'd need a well-calibrated pH meter to know. And any pH between about 5.2 and 5.6 will be fine.
(ii) I always trust the Beer Gods to sort out my pH. I do measure it, but don't get fussed if it looks a bit low. If it's a bit high, I worry, because I've done something wrong.
(iii) I help the Beer Gods by making sure that my water is appropriate to the style before I start. For the pale ales I brew that often means increasing calcium levels by adding a smidgeon (a technical term) of calcium chloride.
(iv) if you insist on adding sodium bicarbonate, as Mark/MHB suggests, don't add it all at once. I'd go further and suggest that you add what you think you need to half a cup of water (dissolve it), then add it a teaspoon at a time, stirring in between. Buffer reactions (you're fighting one) have a habit of doing nothing, doing nothing, doing nothing, almost there, whoops gone too far.
So far my mash pH has always been around 5.0 to 5.1, so not too far to the low side for the beers I’ve been making. I know the dark malts in a RIS are going to push that even lower. That’s not going to be acceptable for a RIS, as they certainly benefit from a higher pH.

Anyway, I’m now considering just steeping the dark malts for 24 hours in the fridge, and then adding those runnings at the end of the boil. I’ve done it that way a few times when making extract RIS and I do like the process as it smooths out the roast flavours quite nicely. That way the Maris Otter gets mashed at an appropriate pH.

"...now considering just steeping the dark malts for 24 hours in the fridge, and then adding those runnings at the end of the boil."

Sounds like a way to go.

But wow - that is a low, low mash pH.

Unless you are doing something to acidify your mash, there is no way a blond beer would get anywhere near 5.1pH.
No matter how much Calcium you add salt additions won’t get you there either.
With really dark beer you might be getting down to somewhere near that sort of pH but you would need a lot (>20%) dark or roast grain.
Might be worth checking your pH meter or whatever you are using. Believe me I know your local water and something simply isn’t adding up!

Fortunately the effect of pH is much more pronounced on the high side than on the low, too high a pH will harm your enzyme activity much more than being the same distance the other way. The extraction of husk polyphenols is also much greater at higher pH's to so if you have to be a bit outside the optimum being out low is better.
Mark

Yes the pH is surprisingly low. I added 100ppm calcium in the first two brews and got 5.1, and 200ppm calcium in the barley wine and got 5.0. I’m going to do a 2 point calibration of the pH meter at 4.0 and 6.86 next brew instead of just the one at 4.0 and see if that makes any difference.

please tell me if you've done this before or doesn't work in beer..............
i've been experimenting using oyster shells in my rum washes.
i've been doing identical washes with & without oyster shells and logging the PH.
hanging 2 cups of shells in a hop sock and seeing how they buffer the PH.
works really well in rum washes.

Back