Inconstant Fermentation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Runk

Reaction score
I have been brewed 6x 52l batches and had some inconsistency with my fermentations.

my ave recipe is

2x blackrock pilsner kit
1kg dex
1kg LDME
10g galaxy hop bioled 5-10mins
low carb enzyme
pitch kit yeast 2x 5g @21c
filled to 52L

temp controlled fermentation @20c

SG is always 1.037

fg has been on Ave 1.006 (normally finished in 10 days)

but my last batch had a fg of 1.001 (maybe even 1.000)

i have also helped my brother in law put an identical batch down and it's been 12 days now and the grav is only 1.010

very confused?? any ideas?

I have been brewed 6x 52l batches and had some inconsistency with my fermentations.

my ave recipe is

2x blackrock pilsner kit
1kg dex
1kg LDME
10g galaxy hop bioled 5-10mins
low carb enzyme
pitch kit yeast 2x 5g @21c
filled to 52L

temp controlled fermentation @20c

SG is always 1.037

fg has been on Ave 1.006 (normally finished in 10 days)

but my last batch had a fg of 1.001 (maybe even 1.000)

i have also helped my brother in law put an identical batch down and it's been 12 days now and the grav is only 1.010

very confused?? any ideas?

The kit yeast is a likely culprit. The amount of viable cells will drop drastically (as will the health of the remaining ones) if the kits are stored too long, or are not stored in nice even temperatures.

Next time you make the brew get your LHBS to suggest a different dry yeast to use. If it is one of the reputable brands (i.e. fermentis) and it has been stored in properly then it will be a much healthier and happier little family and should go a long way to fixing inconsistencies in fermentation.

Some of the "low carb" enzymes can also affect fermentation, but I'm not sure to what extent. I reckon you could ditch that all together.

It is worth bearing in mind that there will always be some variation in fermentation (although it shouldn't be huge) due to the slightly different conditions in every brew you make.

JD

Thanks for a quick reply JD!

I had thought it might be a yeast issue but hadn't considered or thought it would vary that much as i buy from the same shop which has a high turnover.

I have tried us-05 before and while it did a great job of fermenting everything out i actually (*ready for a beating*) preferred the taste of the kit yeast. (as did others who tasted the two side by side)

I have just put my specs into Mrmalty's yeast pitching calculator and that has come back saying i need 20g of dried yeast!!! the kits are only 5g each so i'm only pitching 10g!! 1/2 the recomended of Mrmalty.

Could it be by watering my brew down a little to get to 52L and bulking up a bit with the LDME is too much for the supplied yeast?

where to from here? should i honestly consider harvesting kit yeast to keep it healthy and have enough to pitch according to Mrmalty?

Thanks for a quick reply JD!

I had thought it might be a yeast issue but hadn't considered or thought it would vary that much as i buy from the same shop which has a high turnover.

I have tried us-05 before and while it did a great job of fermenting everything out i actually (*ready for a beating*) preferred the taste of the kit yeast. (as did others who tasted the two side by side)

I have just put my specs into Mrmalty's yeast pitching calculator and that has come back saying i need 20g of dried yeast!!! the kits are only 5g each so i'm only pitching 10g!! 1/2 the recomended of Mrmalty.

Could it be by watering my brew down a little to get to 52L and bulking up a bit with the LDME is too much for the supplied yeast?

where to from here? should i honestly consider harvesting kit yeast to keep it healthy and have enough to pitch according to Mrmalty?

There is nothing wrong with a lot of the kits yeasts as strains, it is just their health which is often an issue. Nothing wrong with not liking the result given by US05, its your beer and you've got to drink it so you might as well use something you like. There are plenty of other dry yeasts around which will give you a good clean finish. If you're LHBS are worth their salt they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I think you're biggest two problems are under pitching and poor yeast viability. Try your next batch with 4 packs of a clean finishing dry yeast (ask for a recommendation from your home brew shop) and see how it goes.

I wouldn't bother harvesting the kit yeast. Use more packs or look into liquid yeasts (wyeast) and building up starters from them (there are plenty of threads here on how to go about it).

Use a decent yeast nutrient such as the Wyeast one and add just before you pitch your yeast. It's always a good idea to rehydrate dried yeast before you pitch it as well.

Thanks everyone for all your input. in case anyone has similar i have found the culprit -

Low carb enzyme- apparently was not added to brother in laws batch!!

was a noob mistake i apologize.

i did learn something new though.. dry/low carb enzyme will give you more alc% and a more active fermentation.

Slightly off topic I put down a batch for myself last night with 2kg malt instead of 1kg malt/1kg Dex and added the dry enzyme and also used nutrient and MY GOD have i got a healthy fermentation running now thanks heaps for that advise!!

Cheers again guys. your advise is invaluable. (thank god)

Back