In Line Flow Valves/compensators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooo how gos the flow restrictor/compensators/roach valve thinggys ???
IT's been 18 months since I read and watched the bulk buys ect , who still uses them , whos removed them ?? ..

I havent been brewing much this year because of the extended wet and flooding ect ect and have purchased kegs of coopers PA and been running them at home, I wasent quite happy with the result I was getting from my tap and rang and asked why mine was diferant to the town tap ?

I was advised to run 60/40 @ 45psi for the best results .. I have a few diferant setups that I can run a keg on but none will take care of that sort of pressure, even both of my GMK colling coils in series still gives to much head.

So do they do the do ??
who should I get them from ??

:beer:

Still using mine and since improving the temperature control of the fridge the system is humming along, first glass has about 25% head but after the tap is cold it runs perfect.

Ended up mounting the compensator as close to the tap as possible which seemed to help gas building in the line post the compensator when the system was not in use.

Given that these allow me to only have 1m of beer line I quite like them. Only thing I would say is get the allen key ones as the knob is a PITA to turn if you need to (dont need adjusting too much unless you are running a radically different pressure).

I have the ones Roach organised, I am sure you can get them in Aus probably from someone who stocks the john guest gear.

Even though I found these didn't work for me at all & consequently sold off the ones I had - I was recently offered a clearence stock of these from a wholesaler here. The price however worked out at way above the bulk buy price, so i passed on the offer. If the cheap prices for whatever reason turn out to be no longer available, I'll happily look at it again.

cheers Ross

I still use the 3 I have on both the 2 kegs in the fridge and on a take away set up with a picnic tap. Once you know your system with temp etc I reckon they are gr8. I also have the valve mounted as close as possible to the tap. Now that I know my system, I rarely adjust the compensators in the kegerator.

They are not perfect, but a 90% solution for me, without the lengths of beerline pulling glasses/bottles off the fridge shelf.

Should still be able to get them directly from Alumasc in the UK and with the AUD at a reasonable rate then should still get a good price.

My four are in action and doing great. They work for me really well.
Have just got another one recently for another project.

Beers,
Doc

Ok Thanks ,, I'll look into it and report back..

Ross : Interesting that you sold them off ? MMmmmmm ? I've seen the pics and know that you are doing fine with out them.. are you only useing co2 or do you run a blended BOC gas? 10 on all the time is a credit to you..

AHB rocks :super:

Ok Thanks ,, I'll look into it and report back..

Ross : Interesting that you sold them off ? MMmmmmm ? I've seen the pics and know that you are doing fine with out them.. are you only useing co2 or do you run a blended BOC gas? 10 on all the time is a credit to you..

I use jst CO2 pour my ales at 50kpa & my lagers at 110kpa. They all pour fine, except for the last couple of litres ot the lagers, which if allowed to sit, seem to absorb a bit too much gas - I put this down to the last bit in the bottom getting colder than the fuller kegs & hence carbonating more, plus it then travels through the warmer lines & froths up. This is only a problem when I leave a nearly empty keg alone for a while, so as not too run out.
The reason the supplier wanted to sell the restrictors off, is that they'd found them no good for their application as well. Good to hear though, they're working fine for some.

cheers Ross

I run my 3 kegs with them and they work perfectly. I can pour a perfect glass every time with just the right amount of head with the keg pressure sitting at about 80-100kPa. My beer line is only about 30cm from disconnect to tap - see pic below (note the high quality taps !!).

I arranged the last bulk buy of these a couple of months ago from Beertech in WA. They worked out to be about $30 each.

Ross, sorry to hear they didn't work too well for you.

liquid.jpg

thanks Al, mmm the plot thickens .. awaiting email replys ...

Go my two attched to 2 pluto guns same setup as above but much closer to the gun (about 10mm of tube visable )the hole set up works great prefect pour and not a drop of beer lost

Just seen another option here on brewboard for making your own.
I'm not sure if the epoxy mixers like this are readily available in Oz though ?

Doc

I'm not sure if the epoxy mixers like this are readily available in Oz though ?

They sure are, the ones I have contain 20 "friction channels". I am going to give it ago over the weekend with a picnic tap and about 15cm of beer line before and after the mixer.

10000571.jpeg

Fantastic. Look forward to hearing about your results Jye.

Doc

Just out of curiousity Jye. Where do you buy them? I'd assume it wouldn't be Bunnings. :unsure:

Warren -

Over the weekend I hooked up the mixer with a picnic tap and it worked really well :) I have uploaded a video if you are interested in seeing an example pour. The keg was at 5C, 70KPA and the tap/mixer was flooded before the pour to reduce any initial foaming due to air in the line.

Video

IMG_0184a.jpg

Thanks Jye, that's excellent stuff. :)

I might hunt down some of those mixers myself. All that beer line in the serving fridge gets on my nerves at times. <_<

Warren -

The part number has changed to 239-7801.

Let us know how it goes Jye...

cheers Ross

The part number has changed to 239-7801.

Thats a different part but from the description it sounds the same :blink: putting 503-385 into the search still comes up with the correct part. http://www.rsaustralia.com

It went well Ross... scroll up a few post :D

Part number didn't work for me - oh well...

Yes, it pays to read the post properly :D ... Too busy today...

cheers Ross

Back