In Line Diffuser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Today I ordered my convoluted counterflow chiller from morebeer. Wooohoooo.
I recently got a diffusion stone also and now want to build and inline diffuser to attach to my new cfc.

I have attached a picture of what I want to build.
I need some help locating the fittings etc, or more to the point in getting a parts list together (and not being a tooly don't know the names for some of the stuff). I want it to all be SS.

Along with the diffuser stone I have a temp gauge for the unit already as well and I'm pretty sure that is 1/2" thread. The fittings on the cfc are 1/2" also.
So I need two of the t-piece things, a 1/2" to 1/2" ss nipple to connect the two together. The ss 1/2" mpt to 1/2" barb pieces x 2.
Finally what bits do I need to connect the aeration stone into the t-piece thingys ?

All help greatly appreciated, and I'm sure other guys will want to build something similar.

Beers,
Doc

InlineDiffTherSS.jpg

What is the fitting on the airstone Doc?

Is it a threaded jobbie, or a barbed one?
What size of fitting?

dreamboat

dreamboat,

It is barbed and I'm 99% sure it is 3/8". Don't have it here at work to be sure.

Beers,
Doc

If I follow this correctly Doc, you need to get the stone end inserted into the flow of beer, along the lenth of the tees as shown in the picture... so you will need to connect the barbed section to the outside world.
Let me know if this is what you are getting at, and i will then follow up with how to make it work! Or, put me straight if have it wrong somewhere.

dreamboat

Ok Doc, you've got a 1/4" barb. The threaded equivalent would have been nice but they are around $40US I think, to go in the aeration assembly? So your going to have to get creative. The actual one pictured uses a 1/4" threaded MPT aeration stone, not the barbed.

Perhaps you could look at getting someone to silver solder your aeration stone it into a 1/4" hole drilled into a stainless steel plug, then screw that into your stainless t section. One other possibility would be to use a 1/4" compression fitting with an oring instead of an olive to seal it, however this would be less sanitary but quite fine I would imagine.

Otherwise your options are pretty limited and your going to have to get pretty creative to get it to work with a sanitary join. Keen to see what ideas others have.

Cheers, JD

Doc - are you planning to use O2 with that or put an aquarium pump on the end of it?

If the latter, I wonder if you would be getting enough O2 in the air into the wort - I guess it depends on the power of your pump a fair bit too.

Goat said:
If the latter, I wonder if you would be getting enough O2 in the air into the wort - I guess it depends on the power of your pump a fair bit too.
Hi Goat

I have seen Neville @ Gryphons setup, he uses an air compressor with filtered air in the same setup and it works ok. As you say an aquarium pump may not flow enough but the air compressor does.

Ausdb

ahhh - a compressor !

I'm guessing you'd need a bloody good filter though. an air tank from a scuba diving club might be the go....

To be sure I am following all this........

Is the idea to super aerate the wort as it leaves the cfc?

Doesn't this make the whole lot froth up something fierce or is that what the stone helps prevent?

Goat,
Those little 2HP compressors sell in the chain stores for about $100.00 now which is a lot better than a dive tank. I use one fitted with one of those little drip irrigation filters with the internal plastic thingy removed and the housing packed with cotton wool. Dunno how well it works but it makes me feel good and sump oil is about the only off flavour I dont get in my beer!
Wanna justify an air compressor?
1. Cleaning the filters in the vacuum and air con. for the Head Cleaner.
2. Blowing out the plug holes that go gloop, gloop half the night because they are full of somebodys long hair.
3. The "official" things like the car & bike tyres, spray painting the cane chairs etc, etc.

Doc,
I have the airation stone from morebeer , it has a 1/2" NPT thread , I have fitted mine as in the pic you posted, easy azz to do

Batz

I've been looking for an excuse to get a compressor - I have a phobia about paint brushes and the front fence has not yet been painted since it was built a year ago :)

I have one of those inline air filters from morebeer (and an s/s stone) which would do the trick. Might have to look into getting that setup that Doc has - just waiting for the boss to do the right thing with the Chrissy bonus.

Goat said:
I've been looking for an excuse to get a compressor - I have a phobia about paint brushes and the front fence has not yet been painted since it was built a year ago :)
You sound like you are about to exchange your phobia for paint brushes for a phobia for spray gun. If it is a timber fence you are talking about spraying then you might be better off hiring an airless rig. By the time you reduce the paint enough to spray it you might find you need a few coats.

Compressors are really cool for cleaning out kegs though without wasting your CO2.

Stating the bleeding obvious, Geordi Stainless have shiploads of stainless stuff, might be a bit of a drive for you though.

I used the same sort of T for my CPF (except it is 1/4"), which I bought from Industrial Fittings Sales.

CPFWithCoupler.jpg

BTW I would have thought 1/4" would be fine if it is in series with a diffuser stone. I put a venturi on the end of my CFC to aerate the wort as it comes out. I am probably going to dump that and just blast it into the fermenter with some spray attachment.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Sounds like I need to get a threaded diffusion stone.
Also checked out my temp gauge an it appears to be 1" thread not 1/2".
Initially I'll be using an aquarium air pump with variable dual outlet output and an inline filter, until I can source a cheap O2 bottle and refil arrangement.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Sounds like I need to get a threaded diffusion stone.

Initially I'll be using an aquarium air pump with variable dual outlet output and an inline filter, until I can source a cheap O2 bottle and refil arrangement.
Hi Doc
All is not lost with your barbed stone, get some sort of stainless fitting you can screw into the tee which will give you a smooth internal surface (ie like a nipple) then put your stone on a piece of pvc hose and feed the hose through a tapered stopper (one of the ones with a long taper) then just jam the stopper into the nipple and you have created an EZQUIK bulkhead fitting. I am about to do a similar sort of thing using copper tubing and tee's and thats my plan for getting the stone to where the action is. (mine is barbed too).

As for a cheap O bottle good luck! do you know anyone in the aviation industry they might be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Ausdb

doc, try your nearest boating supply store for ss fittings,keep us all posted as to the outcome and performance of your set up,cheers spog.

The stone I got from morebeer is barbed and threaded
Your gauge would not be 1" Doc , not unless it is a 10" dail , I am sure it would be 1/2"

Thanks Batz.
Yep a few to many drinks on Friday afternoon, couldn't read the tape measure.
It is 1/2".
Got any pics of your ?

Beers,
Doc

Built it last week out of stainless steel and gave it three workouts at the weekend. One test run with water and two brews.
It worked a treat. Fantastic to see the temp of the wort coming out of the CFWC and being able to alter the flow rate of the tap water and wort out of the kettle accordingly.
No photos at the moment as my wife has the camera in hospital.
I didn't have the aeration stone in as it is wrapped up under the xmas tree. I'm actually thinking of running two aeration stones as I have a dual outlet aquarium air pump. Have one aeration stone in the inline diffuser and the other in the fermenter as the wort goes in.
I was planning on putting the inline diffuser in the t-piece using a stopper as suggested here, but have just found a picture of an aeration stone with 1/2" MPT thread that would fit my setup perfectly.
Anyone know if they are available in Oz ?

Doc

AerationStone_MPT_Thread.jpg

Latest posts

Back