improving efficiency and targets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey peeps,

just a few volume and loss BIAB questions:

1. I'll try and mash out and drain my bag exactly the same every time to get consistency, but if I go over, what is the best course of action? For example, my last brew, I calculated to get 14.5L pre boil, but got 15.5 with possibly squeezing the bag too much at mash out, and keeping the sparge water volume the same.

2. I might try a wet run in my pot to determine my evaporation loss at the same temp setting on my stove; does wort differ at all with evaporation to water? or should the readings for a wet run be roughly what I can expect with my wort too.

I guess I wanna know that if I get over my volume, do I just boil off more? and if under volume, is it ok to just add boiled and cooled water to get to volume?

sorry, this should be in brewing techniques thread

BIAB was originally designed as a sparge free method. If your system allows it, why not just brew at full volume?

Anyway, you could easily measure volume with a ruler (or whatever) and then you'll know how much wort you have as you squeeze.

For the last (unnumbered) questions, yeah in both cases but don't forget to adjust your hop addition timings or amounts where required.

bum said:
BIAB was originally designed as a sparge free method. If your system allows it, why not just brew at full volume?

Anyway, you could easily measure volume with a ruler (or whatever) and then you'll know how much wort you have as you squeeze.

For the last (unnumbered) questions, yeah in both cases but don't forget to adjust your hop addition timings or amounts where required.
cheers bum.

no reason why I can't try full volume for 10L batches, i. I found with a batch sparge my efficiency ended up going up to about 75% at one time but I'm sure it wouldn't drop too low without if my mash was on point though right? here's to more trial and error...

Hmmm...I dunno now. I think I'd pursue a workaround for larger batches rather than go full volume on 10L batches - but that's me and I'm kinda time-poor these days. If trial and error is the motivation (which it often is for me) then go for it, otherwise please accept my apologies for my presumption regarding your circumstances.

it's all good mate, all part of learning for me, and i shouldn't expect my first batches to be amazing ones. they're okay, but need a lot of improvement. i want to get consistency with processes so i know exactly where i should be looking to fix. my first few volumes and losses have just been what they've been and i've not paid attention to them apart from adding or boiling off more to get to where was needed.

i'm definitely gonna use your ruler volume suggestion for my mash out. then i'll check gravity and see how close i am and maaaaybe sparge from there. the idea of no sparging will save me some time (and hopefully negligible gravity gain) so why not try it and see?

thanks mate.

Back