Improve my Slow Cooked Brisket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Wood

Reaction score
Hey guys, not much of a chef but wondering if there's some extra tips for improving my slow cooked brisket? It's already pretty amazing. But wondering if I can make it even better!
  • Cover with 2 tablespoons of Memphis Dry rup
  • Marinade in the fridge for 12hrs in Stubbs BBQ Sauce
  • Chuck in the Slow cooker for 8hrs on low
  • Slice it up and serve
As you can see it's pretty simple.
Cheers guys

I've cooked pork shoulder in the slow cooker in sauce, and in dry heat on a smoker. Both tasty, but different. Dry heat gives you a crust, and charcoal gives it delicious smokiness. I've only ever done brisket on a smoker and the crust is my favourite part. You could probably cook it in the oven on low, or maybe in the slow cooker on a rack. Add liquid smoke if you like that flavour

By any stretch of the imagination, a Weber is the best BBQ for your money on the planet. I mean a real, old fashioned Weber kettle. Not a gas one (but they are good too, in their own way).

Look online at some US BBQ forums. There are all sorts of techniques and tricks to turn that steel machine into a purveyor of pulled pork, a bastion of brisket, and a ripsnorter of ribs. I kid you not.

Expect to have some near misses. But also expect to achieve. Buy Bob Hart’s “Heat and Smoke” book (Google). It will change your life. Or at least the way you eat.

Caveat: the Weber is not a “do everything” BBQ. but what it can do - man, if you get to know it, you’ll be a BBQ king.

And a Webered leg of pork on Xmas day- there is nothing, nothing better.

By any stretch of the imagination, a Weber is the best BBQ for your money on the planet. I mean a real, old fashioned Weber kettle. Not a gas one (but they are good too, in their own way).

Look online at some US BBQ forums. There are all sorts of techniques and tricks to turn that steel machine into a purveyor of pulled pork, a bastion of brisket, and a ripsnorter of ribs. I kid you not.

Expect to have some near misses. But also expect to achieve. Buy Bob Hart’s “Heat and Smoke” book (Google). It will change your life. Or at least the way you eat.

Caveat: the Weber is not a “do everything” BBQ. but what it can do - man, if you get to know it, you’ll be a BBQ king.

And a Webered leg of pork on Xmas day- there is nothing, nothing better.
I prefer my Traeger to be honest. :p

I prefer my Traeger to be honest. :p

Mate, I reckon you’ve got a ripper smoker there. Congrats.

But for someone currently working with a slow cooker - from someone who’s been on the journey - a Weber is a great starting place.

Check out my avatar- I’m a Kamado guy, but I bet I can do almost anything your Traeger can do! 👍

Mate, I reckon you’ve got a ripper smoker there. Congrats.

But for someone currently working with a slow cooker - from someone who’s been on the journey - a Weber is a great starting place.

Check out my avatar- I’m a Kamado guy, but I bet I can do almost anything your Traeger can do! 👍
Yeah 100% I was just having a joke. Can't do a roast in a traeger, it's a single purpose piece of equipment. Webers are awesome, and half the time you can find spare bits out during hard rubbish. It's incredible what people get rid of!!!

Snake method with the coals, a few handfuls of flavour chips and its a great time. Or hot and fast, crackled skin delicious. You can even reverse sear low n slow a steak, then let it rip and finish it off. Webers are a great piece of kit!

Yeah 100% I was just having a joke. Can't do a roast in a traeger, it's a single purpose piece of equipment. Webers are awesome, and half the time you can find spare bits out during hard rubbish. It's incredible what people get rid of!!!

Snake method with the coals, a few handfuls of flavour chips and its a great time. Or hot and fast, crackled skin delicious. You can even reverse sear low n slow a steak, then let it rip and finish it off. Webers are a great piece of kit!
The only thing the traeger has an advantage on is running for long periods. Turn it on at 3am, pop a brisket on and go back to bed. Wake up at 8, wrap it, mow the lawns, come back at 4, grab it out, rest and enjoy.

I ran a stick burner and a drum for ages, and I do competitive BBQ on a huge stick burner trailer (and some catering for friends and family) with some mates. The trager is like a robobrew vs a gas keggle. Paying for convenience.

In other news the Weber brand Traeger that just came out looks like it is a bit more diverse.

Gets a bit hotter than the Traeger. "Searing" mode is 315 C.

High temp error on Traeger is 288 C I think.

Yeah, seen it all on pellet grills. They aren't a direct flame so its like using an oven to sear a steak in a way.

Honestly, you can pick up those little spit rotisseries from bunnings for like $80 which have a grate on them for searing directly over coals. I have one of those, awesome for doing home made charcoal chicken, gyros etc. I also tend to smoke steaks in the traeger low n slow, then sear in a cast iron pan with some butter and rosemary. So tasty.

For the record, I regularly cook with:

A Weber kettle on solid fuel
A Weber kettle on gas (total fire ban days)
A Weber Q3200 (TFB days/just got home from work/Sunday morning bacon’n’eggs)
The Kamado (and Joetisserie)
A cheapass MasterForge bullet smoker. (Rib overflow when Kamado is chockas cos the whole gangs arrived)

Some people seem to think 5 BBQs is excessive. I think the correct number is N+1, where N= current number of BBQs.

And I really like the look of that Traeger...

For the record, I regularly cook with:

A Weber kettle on solid fuel
A Weber kettle on gas (total fire ban days)
A Weber Q3200 (TFB days/just got home from work/Sunday morning bacon’n’eggs)
The Kamado (and Joetisserie)
A cheapass MasterForge bullet smoker. (Rib overflow when Kamado is chockas cos the whole gangs arrived)

Some people seem to think 5 BBQs is excessive. I think the correct number is N+1, where N= current number of BBQs.

And I really like the look of that Traeger...
I agree, why have one bbq when five will do?

Haha. I love the N + 1 analogy.

I'm in the N + 0 rate of climb at this stage. But time will tell!

I agree, why have one bbq when five will do?

May not have come across but truly, I’m having a laugh at myself here.

In my defence, all these were acquired over a very long time More than 25 years. My youngest barbie is probably 9 years old.

BTW, the reason I have two Weber kettles? The missus backed over the first one while it was in the carport. She busted it in just such a way that I could fit it with a gas conversion kit.

See? Even Fate wants me to have more BBQS!

May not have come across but truly, I’m having a laugh at myself here.

In my defence, all these were acquired over a very long time More than 25 years. My youngest barbie is probably 9 years old.

BTW, the reason I have two Weber kettles? The missus backed over the first one while it was in the carport. She busted it in just such a way that I could fit it with a gas conversion kit.

See? Even Fate wants me to have more BBQS!
I understand, I have a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker and a gas bbq, but left to my own devices, I'd have an offset smoker, a Weber, a Kamado Komodo 42" Serious Big Bad, and probably a few others. But my better half is more then happy with what comes out of the pellet smoker.

I understand, I have a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker and a gas bbq, but left to my own devices, I'd have an offset smoker, a Weber, a Kamado Komodo 42" Serious Big Bad, and probably a few others. But my better half is more then happy with what comes out of the pellet smoker.
GMG are good bits of kit. It was hard getting a $1400 smoker across the line but when I mentioned home made bacon and jalapeno poppers on demand she was the first one in the car to head to BBQ galore hahah

No Weber Smokey Mountain love on this thread? It holds temp amazingly well. It's basically set it and forget it without the need for a controller. Just get your fire and vents right. And you can do a final sear over the coals too.

No Weber Smokey Mountain love on this thread? It holds temp amazingly well. It's basically set it and forget it without the need for a controller. Just get your fire and vents right. And you can do a final sear over the coals too.
WSM is a great bit of kit! Also their "Go anywhere" based off the PK Grill is a ripper too.

Back