Improve an old Keggle or go new?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naztone

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have an old keggle that I used to BIAB 23L batches on, with an over the side element (now lost) and I'd really appreciate some advice about whether to improve or go new.

I'm not entirely sure of it's total volume, but I'd put it at about 60L - 70L; it's a weird shape though:

FMIInCM.jpg

In the very near future I'll be moving to a bigger place with a garage or shed and am planning on having a 20A (or higher) circuit put in, so that I can brew with some power; at least 3500W.
I'm wanting to stay with single vessel brewing, maybe with a 19L pot malt pipe and PID control etc.

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth spending time and money on to get it to where I want, or should I just buy a new pot (or even a Grainfather). SS pots are expensive and if this saved some $ I'd be happy.

It's pretty grimy, but here are a few pics.

AWUcbsh.jpg

( a weird raised, but concave bottom section )

4tWmc0k.jpg

( Silicon bung in center doesn't leak )

0BvcOz9.jpg

( Poor thing needs some love )

If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

There’s not a lot wrong with that keggle tbh.

I would measure the internal volume and confirm it suits your needs.

You are short a heat source, I would look at getting an element installed or another over the side element.

I think that will clean up pretty well.

I BIAB with a keg very similar to that - capacity is around 80L. I use a gas turkey fryer as my heat source. Ikea have a $20 wok with a glass lid that will fill fit it. Pretty cheap ($30) and easy to add a dial thermometer.

I understand your predicament though. As soon as you start thinking about upgrades like pumps, malt pipes, stainless fittings etc., it does make you wonder if spending money on an electric SV system is a better way to go.

For what it's worth, I plan to stick with what I've got for a while. You don't need to new, shiny stuff to make good beer. I see one of those SV systems in my future though ;)

Good feedback, thanks guys.

Sounds like the keggle should be OK.
If anyone has tips on how best to place elements, thermowells etc I'd appreciate it.

As for fermentation, while I've only got the Coopers fermenters, they do sit in a temp controlled fridge.
Any suggestions on improvement there?

Next step is probably yeast, though I'm still going to try and build a nice budget Grainfather clone!

Latest posts

Back