Importing Hops & Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seemax

Reaction score
Looking at buying some hops while in the USA, for example 1lb (450g) of cascade pellets for $19! Based on the AQIS website information is seems pellets are ok, with no size limit listed. Tried searching the forums, doesn't appear to be much discussion, any one done this? Also what is the rules for liquid yeast?

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...;LogSessionID=0

Cheers

Looking at buying some hops while in the USA, for example 1lb (450g) of cascade pellets for $19! Based on the AQIS website information is seems pellets are ok, with no size limit listed. Tried searching the forums, doesn't appear to be much discussion, any one done this? Also what is the rules for liquid yeast?

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...;LogSessionID=0

Cheers

Have imported, well..... quite a few varieties in the past and have had know hitches yet. Especially no problems with customs. Oh yeah, they were in pellet form. If you are over in the states stock up as much as you can. That being said even having to pay freight through USPS to get them to Australia it is still very very favourable.

BYB

I just received an order for 20lbs of hop pellets through Hops Direct. All their pellet hops are under US$15/lb but shipping was high (about US$150). All up I paid about $46/kilo landed. There were no problems with customs whatsoever.

I haven't imported yeast but my reading of the AQIS ICON Import Condition C5413 says that it is fine.

I'd love to see that episode of airport!!.

"No, its HOPS, not dope"

"Step over here sir" ( sound of rubber gloves! )

Importation of pellet hops could not be any easier these days. Its like importing a box of commerically sealed food really and you ahve the added benifit of getting the freshest hops direct form most major suppliers. The process for yeast importation seems simple too, aslong as the consignment has 'brewers yeast' noted and/or the genus/species you are right as rain.

It works in reverse as well, Craftbrewer sell heaps of hops overseas and are actually a sponsor on a UK forum just like this one. Eyup bah goom, have a pint of me Pride of Ringwood Yorkshire bitter :unsure:

I got 10lb of cascade and amarillo from hops direct a week ago and they worked out to $40/kg landed at my door.
Vac sealed them into 500g baggies
APA anyone :icon_cheers:

bloody hell i hate coming back from a holiday and then realising all the stuff you could of brought back :-(

I even had a spare suitcase allocation. I could have pulled off the biggest hop importation bulk buy of all time!

As the rest have said, no issues with T90 pellets. I have imported them a few times.

Not too sure about liquid yeast thou, we can source USA made yeasts here so it is ok to bring it in but where ever you need any import paper work I am not sure.

QldKev

I just received an order for 20lbs of hop pellets through Hops Direct. All their pellet hops are under US$15/lb but shipping was high (about US$150). All up I paid about $46/kilo landed. There were no problems with customs whatsoever.

I haven't imported yeast but my reading of the AQIS ICON Import Condition C5413 says that it is fine.

Yeh, no problem with pellets, even 1/2 ton of the stuff from China.

BUT mine are cheaper, looking at $12.00 a kilo, landed, even cheaper.

Craftbrewer

Yeh, no problem with pellets, even 1/2 ton of the stuff from China.

BUT mine are cheaper, looking at $12.00 a kilo, landed, even cheaper.

Craftbrewer
Plus 5% duty on cost of goods and 10% GST on cost of goods, transport and insurance and duty? :icon_cheers:

I got 10lb of cascade and amarillo from hops direct a week ago and they worked out to $40/kg landed at my door.
Vac sealed them into 500g baggies
APA anyone :icon_cheers:

While the hop prices are still cheap as the above comments show, the variation in costs seem to differ quite a bit? Maybe I am reading it wrong :wacko: I have recently placed a substantial order with hops direct and came in at $48kg for both Amarillo and Centennial. The Cascade was $43kg

BYB

BYB - I think that some of that difference is in the exchange rate paid as well as the discount for buying larger packages of a single type. My order was mostly 1lb packs of a bunch of different stuff.

Yes, and mine was 5lb each of amarillo and cascade.

I understand that pellets are fine but am wondering what paperwork needs to be done to bring them in yourself? I guess if you are going via hops direct its all done for you but if you rock up at the airport with a suitecase full there may be some issues?

Is there a point (quantity/value) where you get into trouble?

Just got back from the USA with 3kg of hop pellets. I declared the hops, they asked where from and what for, I said for beer, they said that's lots and replied I like me beer :)

The AQOS does not stipulate any quantity restrictions, so in theory you could have a suitcase full no problem.

I can vouch for the service from hops direct, they stuffed my order up while I was there, they then shipped the correct order to Australia and threw in another 1lb of pellets for free!!

USD93.00 for 5 kilo's USP ground seems the going rate ATM

:angry:

Whoa.. that's hefty. I've just placed an order with Nikobrew.com & got quoted the following via usps priority -

$12.30 for up to 2 1/2 pounds
$39.85 for 3-5 pounds

all up 1 pound of Citra & Tomahawk, & 1/2 pound of Cascade set me back $69 USD inclusive of delivery.

Latest posts

Back