Imperial Stout & Wyeast 1028

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Reaction score
Just brewed the above and stuffed up. Was aiming for 23 litres and an OG of 1.094 but ended up with 21.5 litres at 1.106. I made a stir plate starter with the 1028 and got 380 billion cells according to Mr Malty which I've just pitched at 147 f. The issue I believe I will have is that the 1028 has an alcohol tolerance of 11% ABV and I believe this will now come in at 11.3 % ABV. I'm just worried that if I don't get the best attenuation this could end up very sweet, never used this yeast before will it do the job?

Cheers, where in Beersmith is this dilution tool. Should I boil and cool the water first?

Under Tools>Dilution tool.

Ideally you would boil and cool water first. However, I've used filtered water without boiling and cooling on multiple occasions without problems. I suppose it depends on the quality of your water.

If you don't want to dilute, make sure you aerate VERY well & do it again tomorrow.

If you don't want to dilute, make sure you aerate VERY well & do it again tomorrow.
Cheers, I did give it a good dose of O2 when chiiling, fingers crossed.

ricardo said:
Cheers, I did give it a good dose of O2 when chiiling, fingers crossed.
That's good, but "BIG" beers will benefit from a second aeration after about 12-18 hours. Then leave it alone until it's finished.

is there a range for what the finishing gravity of an imperial stout should be? just checked the gravity on this and it is down to.032 from .105 in two weeks.

It tastes great as it is but i'll leave for another few weeks yet but I'm guessing that seeing as i used 26 % total of brown and black patent malt this may not go much lower?

Latest posts

Back