Imperial IPA Recipe Check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwall95

Reaction score
Okay I've enjoyed quite a few double IPAs lately and with my 25th brew coming up I may as well make it my excuse to make a big hoppy ******* of an ale. So since I haven't done a double IPA lately I've just based the grain bill loosely on my APA & IPA base that I like - minus the crystal to prevent over-sweetness. However after listening to the podcast with Jamil and Palmer, I don't want to overdue to the malt-sweetness in a away that it shadows the hops too munch.

Method-wise: I BIAB in a 50L so my aim to prevent horrible efficency is to do two single mashes and then combine them and boil for 120 minutes. Even so I'm aiming for 60% which is 15% less then my normal brews: 3.5-7%. I also have made the batch size 25L so any extra losses due to the amount of hops which still give me at least one keg.

OG: 1.084 ABV: 9.5%
FG: 1.012 EBC: 16
IBU:159 - dextrose added after boil Size: 25L

Grain Bill: OR:
6kg Maris Otter - 63.4% 8kg Maris Otter
3.5kg Munich - 29.3% 1.5kg Munch
0.75kg Dextrose - 7.3% 0.75kg Dextrose

Hop Schedule: Based on 60% piney (Simcoe and Chinook), 25% citrus & fruity (Amarillo and Centennial) and 15% spicy (Columbus)
5g Simcoe - 90 min
10g Chinook - 60min
10g each of Simcoe and Chinook - 30min (Treated as 45min)
10g each of Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus at 15min (Treated at 30min)
10g each of Simcoe, Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus at 5min (Treated as 20min)
30g Chinook, 30g Simcoe, 30g Columbus, 20g Amarillo and 20g Centennial -> Cube Hops (Treated at 15min)
Dry Hop 1 (Resin Hit): 50g Chinook and 50g Simcoe
Dry Hop 2 (Combo of all): 20g Amarillo, 20g Centennial, 25g Columbus, 15g Chinook and 20g Simcoe

For dry-hopping I was thinking DH1 in primary and the DH2 in secondary with the dextrose addition added then to remove the air from the headspace and to minimise fusels during fermentation.

Yeast:
Most likely 3 packets of Craftbrewers American Ale dry yeast.

If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to shoot away. Cheers

The main thing your trying to avoid from what I read was malt sweetness, 30% Munich is going to do that, provide sweetness. You can use Munich but I'd reduce that to 10-15% if your not going to use crystal. All my double ipa's have had at least 5% crystal like the std ipa. I recently made a ipa with just ale and only 12% Munich and that was a great support base for the 75ibu, so it can be done.

The hops look the goods

Cheers Pratty,

I'm not necesarily trying to avoid any munich sweetness, was more just worried about it being unbalanced. I think I'll go for the 14% munich to balance the bitterness and to give it a nice colour. What's your normal FG on your DIPAs? Based on Jamil, theirs is incredibly low 1.004 but based on US05 attenuation should be from 1.018 to 1.014, is the norm for DIPA?

Back