Imperial IPA - hop combo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

Thought I would throw this to the AHB'ers to get some feedback on a planned IIPA for this weekend.

Target
OG - 1.090
ABV - 9%
IBU - 120-150

Its more the hop combo where Id bee keen to know what you would run with, we have hopshots from the US along with a bunch of hops to use;

Simcoe, Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo, Columbus, Cascade

The hop shots give about 10ibu per ml and would like to use that at 60mins for 5mls = 50ibu upfront. Possibly a 15 or 10min addition to 40ibu and then a whirlpool @ 95c for 30mins with the same combo for another 40ibu ( as per BS 2.0 calc )

Also planning to dry hop for 10days - after 7days adding more for the final 3days of dry hop.

We are using the Randy Mosher water profile as we have in the past the make the hops the show.

Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, S04=279 ( all ppm ) this give the sulphate to calcium ratio nearly 6-1

For the records the malts bill will be simple yet undecided like the hop combo;

85% Ale, 10% Vienna/Munich, 5% Caramalt

Mashed at 66c, fermented at 18c with US05

How would you hop this IIPA ?

I would consider reducing the dry hop time. 10 days risks grassy/vege flavours. For a IIPA I'd double dry hop asnyoy suggest but for about 4 days each. Maybe a longer one during cold crash.
If it were me I'd add columbus and maybe simcoe at the 10 min Mark for a bit of spice/ pine then hit it with the fruity hops at whirlpool.

Are your hop shots Isohop or something else?

I think you might have too many "fruity" type hops. If you use too many and you don't know what you are doing it can just turn into a bit of a mess where you don't really have any distinct flavours. With those hops I'd drop the cascade and galaxy. Just use your bittering hops at the start then do a flameout at about 10g/L.

How are you chilling your wort? If an immersion chiller let it sit for 30 minutes before chilling.

Dry hopping for 10-12 days is fine but I would split it and add a second lot of hops after 5 days. Also, go heavier on the citra as the other hops will drown it out. On day 7 give it a taste then just add some more citra but don't add too much or you will get a flat mango flavour from the citra. Don't do more than about 8g/L dry hops in total and you should have a really good beer.

Also drop the caramalt to 2-3%, that will give you good mouthfeel without interfering with the hops.

I like a ton of dank/resin and grapefruit in my really big IPAs, the fruity hops just don't seem to work in really big beers for my tastes.

I'd be using a mix of Simcoe, Chinook and Centennial, north of 10g/l late and dry, bittering addition of Simcoe @ first wort accounting for 1/3 of IBUs.

It's a formula that works quite well for me.

Donske said:
I'd be using a mix of Simcoe, Chinook and Centennial, north of 10g/l late and dry, bittering addition of Simcoe @ first wort accounting for 1/3 of IBUs.
I like the dank resin too, however the stocks in my fridge are out of centennial :huh: & no chinook. Just simcoe and columbus for dankness which would be good to get into the mix.

Kranky said:
Are your hop shots Isohop or something else?

How are you chilling your wort?
The hopshots are from Northern Brewer and for a first attempt using 5mls at 60mins will be the bittering charge.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/hopshot.html

Using an Immersion Chiller, when the boil finishes the whirlpool pump will be activated and I can do the 30min whirlpool then chill instantly.

Pratty1 said:
I like the dank resin too, however the stocks in my fridge are out of centennial :huh: & no chinook. Just simcoe and columbus for dankness which would be good to get into the mix.

Simcoe and Columbus will definitely get you into the right area, I find Simcoe can add a decent Grapefruit hit when used at or above 5g/l late in the boil.

Pratty1 said:
Cascade will also be fine work instead of centennial.

Ok so with the comments in mind and my forever changing mind....oh the options for hops, what to use...... :unsure:

after checking out this on hopunion, you can select the aroma/flavour you after

https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/?aroma=Tropical-Fruit

Malt

94% Golden Promise Ale
3% Caramuch 1
3% Carapils

SG - 1.090
FG - hopefully less than 1.020 - mashing @ 65c

The hops - 135ibu :ph34r: though I would spread them out instead of 15m & WP

5mls HopShot @ 60m = 45ibu

28g Columbus @ 45m = 22ibu

56g Cascade @ 30m = 17ibu

28g Citra @ 15m = 11ibu

56g Amarillo @ 10m = 11ibu

56g Simcoe & 56g Amarillo - Whirlpooled 10mins @ 95c = 27ibu

Dry Hopped with possibly a combo of Simcoe, Amarillo & Citra - 28g each for 7days after fermentation is completed.

The hop combo without using chinook or centennial is very loosley based on Bells Hopslam Ale.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26504

Back