Immersion chiller leakage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snails07

Reaction score
I have a question about immersion chillers and whether or not a leaking chiller (with the chilling water going into the wort) would likely cause an infection.

I've permanently installed my chiller into my urn so there are fittings going through the wall of the urn.
I'm testing it at the moment and there are no leaks, but if one day down the track, a fitting leaks and i get some chilling water into the beer will this completely ruin it?

I'm using a big tub and a pump to pump the water, so should i be adding some metabisulphate or something to the chilling water? Would this even help if it did get in there?

Cheers

Um...just wondering why you'd decide to permanently install your chiller...
Gonna make it fun to scrub the beer stone off it....
Anyway , back to your question....I had a mate who reckons he got an infection from his chilling water leaking from his immersion chiller into his cooling wort...or so he says...
My point to him was that people buy fresh wort kits ( from above advertisers) and often top them up from the backyard hose without any issues...
I wouldn't want water with metabisulphate leaking into my beer...don't add it...if your at all concerned , on brew day add no rinse sanitiser...like starsan...to your tub...throw your metabisulphate out . It's old school and dangerous to your health ....
Btw..how big is your tub ? I use my 3000 litre water tank and I struggled to get my wort below 22 on Sunday night after 30 degree Melbourne day....

The main reason being that with everything permanently plumbed, i just need to add a bucket of ice water, plug in the pump and go. I'm lazy basically.

I figure if i soak it immediately after brewing it should get most off it. If not, oh well, it can get boiled up on the next batch. It's installed with compression fittings too so they can easily come off every few brews for a clean if need be.

Yeah I've used water straight out of the tap for topping things up with no issues as well. Good point.

I think I'll quit worrying about this. Cheers

Back