Immersion chiller leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
Hi All, long time no brew.

I decided to dust off my AG gear and put down a batch today, a fav IPA of mine, after a bit of a bumpy run getting mash temps stable etc, the boil went off without a hitch and i sterilised my immersion chiller @ 10 mins to boil finish and was pretty happy at flameout. I never took a gravity reading, but was happy with colour/clarity and hooked up the hose in the laundry and checked fittings and flow, and watched TV for half an hour. When i came back, there was an extra 3rd of volume in the kettle. Lots of naughty words were said and i sort of stood there with my hands on my head for about 5 mins staring at my 6 hours.

Long story short, i've split the wort, into a 10L pot and put the other 30L onto the burner again with the other 10L.

What should i expect to happen? I removed my finishing hops with a strainer as i didn't want any more bitterness, i imagine i'll have a darker beer?

Cheers,

Gibbo

Gibbo it will continue to bitter as the pils containing the alpha acids are already ectracted in the boil.

Did you manage to save it?

It will be out of balance with the hops and thinner body from the water.

Basically any more boiling is going to make the whole wort the same as wort with only 60min additions

You will need to re do your flav & aroma additions.

Your IBU's will also change

Hey fellas, thanks for that.

I just finished filtering it.

I re-boiled it down to 19L, ended up a fair bit more bitter than planned, but the hops i'd used were from unopened year old packs, i don't think they had the same punch because even though it was more bitter, it wasn't too bitter, plus the recipe had a fair bit of crystal in it, (around 700g), ended up more copper in colour, and a lot more caramel/nuttyness. All in all, it's not bad, actually quite good. i re did flavour additions and dry hopped.

Re-remembering all my little processes throughout the mash/boil/ferment/keg/carb steps has been frustrating but now i have a keg of beer, tasty beer.

Cheers.

I had I similar experience on the weekend.
My target of 20lt was over shot by not allowing my shorter boil time.(new brew software)
That an my immersion chiller sprung a leak.
I just mixed 1 kg LME in to my fermenter to bring it up to 5%.

Playing the waiting game now but I'm confident it will be fine

b

Back