Immersion chiller has anyone used this

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received my Hydra from Jaded a couple weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I can say that it is very well built. Feels sturdy, welds are nice & clean, everything looks built to last. It's sitting next to my new SS conical in my Man Cave as industrial erotic art ... yes, I stare at it and salivate. I made a DIY immersion chiller during Uni in the 90's: looked dodgy, leaked all over, but got the job done. Now that I'm a little more cashed up, I'm happy to pay for a well made product. I hate the extra sanitizing and cleanup time for my counter-flow chiller, so I bought the Hydra. If it works as advertised, the unloved CFC is going up for sale this forum.

The divide between soldering and brazing is merely the melting point of the alloy, above 450 oC it's brazing, below that it's soldering.

The liquidus temps of the common CuAgP rods used to join copper tube are over 800 oC* so it's technically brazing even though many plumbers call it soldering.

* Higher silver levels lower the liquidus and the solidus / liquidus gap; 15% Ag is around 800oC, anything >15% is very expensive. The 56% silver rod I use on stainless has a liquidus of 650 oC but you buy it by the troy ounce due to the cost.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
The divide between soldering and brazing is merely the melting point of the alloy, above 450 oC it's brazing, below that it's soldering.

The liquidus temps of the common CuAgP rods used to join copper tube are over 800 oC* so it's technically brazing even though many plumbers call it soldering.

* Higher silver levels lower the liquidus and the solidus / liquidus gap; 15% Ag is around 800oC, anything >15% is very expensive. The 56% silver rod I use on stainless has a liquidus of 650 oC but you buy it by the troy ounce due to the cost.
All the plumbers I know don't use silver bearing solder, reason being is it's too expensive and use Aquasafe instead
Consolidated Alloys Aquasafe is liquidus at 227°C

Thanks, I didn't know that. Since I mostly work with stainless I need the high silver stuff.

Is there anything super dooper about that chiller that I cant see? Just look like a they've increased the surface area by cramming twice the coils in and soldered it into a 3/4 by 1/2"reducer. Price point is a little rude if thats all it is.

I think that's about the long and the short of it, they hype up their product quite a bit
It does look to be a well built chiller, but nothing you couldn't make at home given a little practice bending and soldering copper & brass

Borneogoat said:
I just received my Hydra from Jaded a couple weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I can say that it is very well built. Feels sturdy, welds are nice & clean, everything looks built to last. It's sitting next to my new SS conical in my Man Cave as industrial erotic art ... yes, I stare at it and salivate. I made a DIY immersion chiller during Uni in the 90's: looked dodgy, leaked all over, but got the job done. Now that I'm a little more cashed up, I'm happy to pay for a well made product. I hate the extra sanitizing and cleanup time for my counter-flow chiller, so I bought the Hydra. If it works as advertised, the unloved CFC is going up for sale this forum.
Did you order that from the States or get a local supplier?

sp0rk said:
All the plumbers I know don't use silver bearing solder, reason being is it's too expensive and use Aquasafe instead
Consolidated Alloys Aquasafe is liquidus at 227°C
Aquasafe is only soft solder though. Its a pain in the arse to use unless the conditions are perfect due to the low melting point and the fact that it has to harden. Neither is it much chop for fixing holes or in slightly out of round joint as it relies on capillary attraction to do seal. 2% silver is pretty economical, its the red tipped 15% you use on mechanical services and such that costs the big bux Flows like a dream though.
When I left, polly pipe and compression fittings was the flavor of the month.
Anyhow, what all this business with plumbers and penny pinching over welding accessories nowadays? Whats the world coming to..

So I'm looking at making up my own squat coil chiller as the one I've got now only half submerges in my kettle when doing single batches. Bunnings have two brands of 1/2" by 18m annealed copper tubes, from what I can tell they're identical spec-wise and only $1 difference in price. Is there anything I'm missing that would make one of these a better option than the other?

Thanks,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kembla-1-2-x-18m-annealed-copper-coil_p4910023
https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-1-2-x-18m-annealed-copper-tube_p4910009

Dave70 said:
Aquasafe is only soft solder though. Its a pain in the arse to use unless the conditions are perfect due to the low melting point and the fact that it has to harden. Neither is it much chop for fixing holes or in slightly out of round joint as it relies on capillary attraction to do seal. 2% silver is pretty economical, its the red tipped 15% you use on mechanical services and such that costs the big bux Flows like a dream though.
When I left, polly pipe and compression fittings was the flavor of the month.
Anyhow, what all this business with plumbers and penny pinching over welding accessories nowadays? Whats the world coming to..
Admittedly lots of young plumbers these days are JUST working on project homes so have the luxury of only working on clean, brand new copper that is perfectly round.
When we moved into the house we're living in, I noticed heaps of incredibly shitty soldering, flux left behind and corroding pipe, etc
So I went around and fixed a few joins up that were already leaking

I'll admit I do like 2% (bought a few sticks at Masters for a dollar or 2 each), it's so much easier to flow and fill gaps, I've only ever used 15% once and it was great to work with, but I got it for free, screw buying it
Most of my soldering is done on other hobbies, so heating 4" heat exchangers to be able to braze (without an oxy setup) is a massive pain, it's easier just to do heaps of prep work and be able to soft solder it

Meddo said:
So I'm looking at making up my own squat coil chiller as the one I've got now only half submerges in my kettle when doing single batches. Bunnings have two brands of 1/2" by 18m annealed copper tubes, from what I can tell they're identical spec-wise and only $1 difference in price. Is there anything I'm missing that would make one of these a better option than the other?

Thanks,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kembla-1-2-x-18m-annealed-copper-coil_p4910023
https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-1-2-x-18m-annealed-copper-tube_p4910009
Nope, just different manufacturers, either would work fine
If you're in Melbourne (or you're ordering more than $100 worth of stuff for free delivery) Plumbing Sales have 18M of 1/2" for $64.90
Even then, shipping is $15
http://plumbingsales.com.au/
Trade accounts are free and you don't need an ABN

sp0rk said:
Nope, just different manufacturers, either would work fine
If you're in Melbourne (or you're ordering more than $100 worth of stuff for free delivery) Plumbing Sales have 18M of 1/2" for $64.90
Even then, shipping is $15
http://plumbingsales.com.au/
Trade accounts are free and you don't need an ABN
Thanks for that sp0rk, this is how it wound up. Ugly as sin but hopefully it performs a bit better than the SS coil in my setup:

IMG_20161112_160435 - Edited.jpgIMG_20161112_160400 - Edited.jpg

My God. Stu will want to marry you.

Back