I'm new and this may be a dumb question!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmacca30

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why we need to keep brew in the fermenter for 7-10 days? I'm only using coopers brew kit, and the larger it came with.

Why cant it ferment in bottles from the second day with carbonation drops?

lilmacca30 said:
Can someone tell me why we need to keep brew in the fermenter for 7-10 days? I'm only using coopers brew kit, and the larger it came with.

Why cant it ferment in bottles from the second day with carbonation drops?
erm... you want to control the amount of carbonation? I'd say they will explode if you bottled on day 2

Sit the FV on an angle to bottle

Hi
Welcome to home brewing
As u ferment in the plasic container the co2 the yeast produces escapes thru the airlock
If you bottle and add sugar at this point the co2 has nowhere to go and she blow up
Wait until you get 3 days in a row with no change at around 1.010 or wait for 2 weeks
Re the tap just tip the fv

You can ferment in the bottle with carb drops from day 2.
You just end up drinking your beer from the floor.
You may cut your tongue as well.
All good its only a kit brew.

And yes it was a dumb question........

Not a dumb question! (That said, yes, start here: http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html)

The first 7-10 days in the fermenter is referred to as "primary fermentation" (also, "in primary" or similar terms). Essentially, this is when the alcohol is excreted by yeast as it consumes the sugars in the wort, producing copious amounts of CO2 as a by product, which escapes through the air lock.

So, if you were to bottle before primary has finished, the CO2 has nowhere to go, and you end up with bottle bombs. And then lose an eye when one lets go.

edit: speeling.

lilmacca30 said:
Lager*

As everyone else has said, you need to allow the yeast time to actually ferment the brew, that is, eat the fermentable sugars and convert them into CO2, Alcohol and attributing flavours. Brewing takes time. I'd venture to say, most brewers leave their beer in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks as a general rule, to ensure fermentation is complete and the product is clean. After that, some people even 'rack' their beer into a secondary fermenter, to allow it to clear up even more or to do other things with it like cold crash before bottling/kegging, long term lagering or hop additions. I definitely recommend you do a bit more reading, because as silly as it sounds, it can be dangerous if you're not scholared.

lilmacca30 said:
im aware they may blow, however i love testing the water with stuff before i take it seriously because then i know my limits. so ive bottled a couple and placed in a 50L water tight container with a lid, and will let you know how it goes or blows!
I tend to be nice to people that are just plainly ignorant for no apparent cause, but you're literally opening yourself up to a verbal assault by posting this kind of stuff here. Why ask for advice from knowledgeable brewers, if you're just going to ignore it anyways?

I just hope no-one innocent gets injured in your stupid and pointless experiment.

lilmacca30 said:
im aware they may blow, however i love testing the water with stuff before i take it seriously because then i know my limits. so ive bottled a couple and placed in a 50L water tight container with a lid, and will let you know how it goes or blows!
Would you take the same cavalier attitude if you were new to handling explosives?? That's in effect what you're doing.

Don't bother to report back. You ARE going to end-up with bottle bombs. If they don't go-off during your ill-informed experiment (extremely likely), then you're going to get a huge gusher when you open them & end-up not being able to drink any of it whilst you clean shit off your ceiling.

As previously stated - you ASKED for advice & chose to ignore it. The results will speak for themselves.

Some dry ice and warm water will give you the same result, wouldn't waste beer that way either.

lilmacca30 said:
if people didnt push the limits then no one would know what really would happen.
The thing is, the limits have alreayd been pushed by others, both knowingly and unknowingly, and the results have been shared so we do know what happens. You can't invent the same thing twice, so what's the point?

At the end of the day, it's your beer, your money and your life. You can do what you want of course, but when you're asking for advice from people who are more experienced than you, they're going to tell you exactly what they think, and if you choose to ignore them, I doubt many will continue to try to help you.

lilmacca30 said:
if people didnt push the limits then no one would know what really would happen.
You're the only one who doesn't know what would happen (despite having been told in no uncertain terms).

The PET bottles may not explode. Please don't assume that this means it is safe.

lilmacca30 said:

Granted, experimentation is fully encouraged here but you're looking down the barrel of "Mentioned in Despatches" for the Darwin Awards. Educate yourself first, THEN experiment.

i have listened to your advise and havent bottled all my beer.

No, you haven't listened at all to the FUNDAMENTAL advice that was given, which was "Don't try it - educate yourself"!

im not here to stir shit, im was heavily involved in a shooting forum, and dick heads where always shit stiring which drove me away from the forum, however i have no problem with people trying new things if they are being safe about it. i would of assumed this site would have the same morrals...

Mate, if you're planning on doing what you are, then you've already experienced the "moral" side of this forum, which is to stop people doing stupid things.

Would you recommend a newbie on the shooting forum to "experiment" with a quadruple load of propellant in their new 0.50-cal hand-loading experiments?? It's the same. At least you're using PET bottles (not that it'll change the outcome in any way).

Good luck! :rolleyes: You're going to need it!

Looking forward to pictures.

PET is every bit as dangerous as glass if travelling at you at extreme speed after exploding from immense pressure.

FFS.
You may not have liked the shit stirring on the gun forum but you aren't gonna do any better here with this sort of bullshit.

Dude you have got to be the stupidest person on the face of the earth. Things come with instructions/warnings for a reason, eg don't put a fork in the toaster to get the stuck toast out, don't put unleaded fuel in a diesel engine and don't bottle your beer until it's ready in all three exampled people have been seriously injured even killed. I know I bottled 1 brew without checking with a hydrometer and every bottle I opened I winced when I cracked the lid.

OP sounds like a lot of work bottle carbonating the beer. Why not just use a kevlar goblet and carbonate the beverage with your rifle? Save a lot of time. Result may even be superior....

More serious note, don't bother with this experiment. I have accidentally done as you are planning, got a massive earbashing from the owner of the laundry cupboard the brew was stored in, and was up for a new door too :p
PET bottles may be safer but in no way can your results carry over to a glass bottle. So you will never really know if it is safe.

Why not make beer you can drink?

Cheers,
D80

Back