I'm Back - And Looking For Brew Buddies Near Williamstown Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Well it's been a long time but I'm still alive and kicking.

2008 sucked, I mean it really sucked. My small business finally turned up its toes, my dog died, Mrs W was diagnosed with MS and I got deported briefly.

This year has been much better, so far I've just had a heart attack, none of Mrs W's meds work and, barely into her 30s, she needs wheels to get around - but them's the breaks, the skin thickens and at least the Saints are flying high.

Since we moved to Williamstown and I inherited a back yard workshop, I have been mysteriously procrastinating about setting up the brewery. I kind of had it all figured out, one end of the workshop would be brewery and the rest of it, well, workshop, but I never could get round to buying the necessary water pipe and firing it all up.

A couple of weeks ago I think I figured out why. It was just the wrong place. The feng shui wasn't right. No water, but more to the point, no drainage. The more I thought about it, the more I realised that the most important function of a brewery is to be able to clean things easily. Being lazy (but cunningly disguised as a perfectionist) I would prefer not to have to lug things to a separate area for cleaning, but rather brew in a nice hoseable area. (With a bit of luck and some long sticks, I could even spend the whole brewday in a strategically-placed recliner).

Enter the garage. Smaller than the workshop, grubbier and more full of junk (if such a feat is even possible) but it leans to the side of the house and has a water pipe passing cheekily right through it, and the concrete floor drains merrily down the driveway.

So the last couple of weeks has seen a bit of tidying, cleaning, and lugging of fridges. Some Dexion racking forms the brew frame and workbench. An extra deep double laundry sink from eBay is just the job for cleaning and sanitising duties. Still have a bit of welding to do here and there before I can christen it (I'm thinking a Gueuze across the bows before her maiden brew) but I'm looking at a couple of weeks or so and I'm excited as hell!
:beerbang:

Hence my triumphant return to these hallowed forums. There's been a few changes around here by the looks of it, good to see some of the old names still posting and wow, what a member list! Brewing in Australia is looking very popular indeed!

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to see if there were any local brewers that might fancy coming round and keeping me company when I fire it up, probably a couple of Saturdays from now. For those that don't know, it's a 'HERMS' type setup where the HLT acts as a heat exchanger during the mash and the chill stages. Seems like everyone has one these days, but beginners might get a kick out of seeing an AG brew nonetheless - and experts might help me remember when to add the Irish moss... :ph34r:

PM me if you're interested and if the weather plays nice we might even get a barbecue out of it...

:beer:

Hey WortGames, welcome back.
That really is a sucky 2 years, hope your over the heart problems and I really hope your wife improves.
I remember your HERMS well, one of the inspirations for my current system, thanks.
Wish I was down your way as I'd love to come over for a brew day, hope it all goes well.

Cheers
Andrew

Wow! What a frucked couple of years - glad to see it hasn't broken your spirit and you're still going strong. Well done.

There might be some people HERE that would be happy to catch up.

funny you posted that link wakkatoo only about 10 mins before im reading this thread .. always up for a brewday and a chat wort games and sorry to hear of all your misfortunes ... gimme a yell when your firing up the beast im just up the road in laverton ..

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys - I've missed it here!

Thanks for the tip wakkatoo, I've put my hand up for that one as well.

Barra, I'll certainly let you know - Laverton is too close for a couple of brewers NOT to catch up isn't it :beer:

Hey welcome back Wortgames! Sorry to hear about your woes, I understand your pain all too well (well, your wife's anyway).

Just wanted to say I'm still going strong on that Herlisil that you organised the bulk buy for, and to welcome you back. Make sure you get in on the next Vic case swap.

Back