I'm An Aluminium Kinda Guy.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
I've just finished my brewday and figured a report on Aluminium kettles wouldn't go astray.

They are the best thing since sliced bread :)

I have 3 x 50 litre kettles in my setup HLT, Heated [nasa] mash tun and boiler.

Before you use an Aluminium kettle fill it with water and boil it for 10 minutes then empty it and dry it out, this will start the oxidation of the Aluminium metal which is the barrier between whatever is in the pot and the raw Aluminium itself. The kettle will show a change of colour from bright and shiny to dull and eventually grey.

Dull and grey is what you want.

Myth: They are hard to clean.

When your brew is finished one squirt of dishwashing detergent, about a cup of water and a scourer spounge is all you need.

GENTLY rub the hops etc stuck to the kettle and that is it.
Sometimes you will get a brown deposit on the base of the kettle and all you need is either neat phosphoric acid [observe ALL safety requirements] or undiluted one shot - sling shot or terminator. As long as they are phosphoric based they will not harm the kettle. About 1 - 2 minutes is all you need to move even the most stubborn build up.

Do not use any caustic products on the Aluminium as they will corrode the metal. Chlorine is also a no no.

Myth: They are not durable.

If you are a ham fisted, careless, brutal type of person. Steal a SS keg.

Everyone else, Aluminium kettles are fine.

Myth: They scorch the wort.

Exactly the opposite, as Aluminium has a far better heat transfer than SS and as such allows higher heat [nasa] applied to the kettle and gives amazingly quick boils.

Myth: You can taste the Aluminium.

CRAP. See point above about preparation before boiling. And don't scrub shiny.

Myth: They are legal. :)

Now this one is true ..... You can have a totally legit brewery.

Finally they are very versatile as they can be used for all aspects of the process.

And this is not a post to bait SS owners -- everyone uses what is best for them.

Steve.

I have to agree with Chiller his Aluminium brewery is a nice set up that works well , so well I now have a 60lt pot too, and so does Ant now !

I still use mostly SS , but I don't have a problem drilling , welding this etc , anyone who finds this a bit of a challange should look at the Aluminium brewery.

PS. They make an exellent mash tun

Batz

Doc reminded me that there is another myth associated with brewing and Aluminium .... but I can't remember what it is.

Steve.

:huh: what was the question again um whats your name :p

ceers bid g

My HLT is aluminium and my kettle is SS.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that aluminium is generally more reactive and if you mix and match metals, keep an eye out for corrosion at the interface.

Back