Illiteracy In Oz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
Absolutely NOT pointing the finger at anyone but with the declining standards of education basics in Australia I'm sure lots of you have taken note of numerous mis-spellings on posts on AHB over the years?
All very sad when education in Oz can't even teach the basics even to those with fancy university degrees. :(
Plenty of comments coming this way soon I reckon.

The three R's --- Reading, Writing & Arithmatic are just the basic building blocks of education. Too much expect? Too lazy to use a spell-checker? You'll let me Know I'm sure. ;)

TP

To be fair a forum about producing alcoholic beverages might not be the ideal place to survey the general public's ability to spell.

Not disagreeing with your comment but just playing devil's advocate. ;)

Cheers,

Ed

Intelligence isn't learnt. People will happily learn anything in which they are interested.

People aren't interested in accurate communication as much as they are in rapid and cheap communication.

Computers do R, W and A - we get to have fun.

If it pisses off the anals out there ... that's probably a bonus, because these days, nobody GAF except those with nothing better to do than complain about how it was better when everyone was anal.

EDIT [this post has been spell, and grammar-checked by a computer with RULES]

EDIT 2 [I think we'll find most of these posts are edited for spelling and grammar].

EDIT 3 [GAF is an acronym for those who can't be arsed typing "give a ****"].

The three R's --- Reading, Writing & arithmatic are just the basic building blocks of education. Too much expect? Too lazy to use a spell-checker? You'll let me Know I'm sure. ;)
Without trying to be an ar$ehole, you should probably look up the meaning of irony.

It's only going to get worse Pete.

Brace yourself as GEN Z and GEN AO make it to adulthood and the workforce.

Absolutely NOT pointing the finger at anyone, but with the declining standards of education basics in Australia I'm sure lots of you have taken note of numerous mis-spellings in posts on AHB over the years?
All very sad when education in Oz can't even teach the basics even to those with fancy university degrees. :(

The three R's --- reading, writing & arithmetic are just the basic building blocks of education. Too much to expect? Too lazy to use a spell-checker? You'll let me know I'm sure. ;)

TP

:ph34r:

Looks like I was too slow...

Absolutely NOT pointing the finger at anyone but with the declining standards of education basics in Australia I'm sure lots of you have taken note of numerous mis-spellings on posts on AHB over the years?

The three R's --- Reading, Writing & Arithmatic are just the basic building blocks of education. Too much expect? Too lazy to use a spell-checker? You'll let me Know I'm sure. ;)

TP

I agree Pete, it's not hard to spell correctly. :beerbang:

Just to play devil's advocate a little.
* In 1950s & 1960s, very few people made it to university. Only the top students made it through.
* If you want to compare university graduates from then and now, it isn't really a good comparison. You're comparing the top echelon then against a large percentage of the population now. I knew a guy back then who was brilliant at maths, chemistry, etc, but couldn't pass Form 6 English (5 attempts), so is just a factory worker. Yet he had the ability to do more with his life. Today he would have been able to get to university and achieve as a chemist or whatever - albeit with poor spelling and grammar that clever people get around. Today he's a factory labourer with poor spelling and grammar. What's the difference?
* I assume you're not suggesting that those who didn't go to university in the past all had brilliant English. That is patently incorrect.
* Therefore i'd question whether it's about teaching methodology.

No-one suggests that we go back to 1960s medical practice. There have been advances in medicine, and in education. I think this whole furphy about modern teaching methods neglecting the three Rs is just a vote-winning urban myth. I don't think it's supported by sound research.

HOWEVER
I hate poor spelling and grammar as well.
And I think teachers have completely failed, in EVERY generation to teach how to use an apostrophe. Since I was a child in the sixties retail shops always put apostrophes in where they shouldn't be, and yet, against statistical odds, managed to leave them out when they needed one.

Since I was a child in the sixties retail shops always put apostrophes in where they shouldn't be, and yet, against statistical odds, managed to leave them out when they needed one.

Chronic overuse of the comma.

>

when_comforting_a_grammar_nazi_17751.jpg

Without trying to be an ar$ehole, you should probably look up the meaning of irony.

My error & willing to admit it. :lol:
FYI I did use a spell-checkoer & yes, I just started this thread in a moment of boredom :p although I'm quite serious about the absence of literacy in AHB.

TP

Last edited by a moderator:

The three R's --- Reading, Writing & Arithmatic are just the basic building blocks of education. Too much expect? Too lazy to use a spell-checker? You'll let me know I'm sure. ;)

TP

Know is corrected to now know. :p

although I'm quite serious about the absence of literacy in AHB.
How serious?

I wonder if, perhaps, your understanding of the words 'absence' and 'literacy' differ from mine?

Back