Ikea Thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seemax

Reaction score
Visited Ikea today, crazy as it might sound on a long weekend it turned out to be fairly quiet (horsies and holidays keeping people away?).

Anyway came across this little gadget

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10171303

Designed for checking internal temps of meat... it has a temperature alarm and in the other mode it features as a stopwatch or timer with alarm.

Not bad for $17 with a probe, will use it for the HLT / hops timer / etc.

measures up to 130C and cord withstands 220C, looks pretty good.

that looks to be a cracking score! Had I not recently ended my long search for a thermostated urn I'd be all over that one. Well done

Actually keep us posted on how it works, at that price I'm tempted to work it into my mash tun

Hope yours works.

I bought one and the damn thing doesnt work.

I expect i got a dud

I bought 2 of these about 18 months ago, they lasted 2 brews and then started reading very high in room temp water. weird.

Not sure what happened, still using them as timers.

+1 both mine went off-line. The first one I returned because I was going past, the second threw it in the bin - waste of petrol.

Bought one of Batz' recommendations which seems to be a good buy @ twice the price.

HD

This is a good little thermometer, in that it lets you input a set temperature, and the alarm goes off when that temp is reached. Great for heating mash water. Using it today.

I only wish the reverse could be done, to set a low temp, and alert me if my mash has dropped, so I could apply more heat.

Still, a very good buy. Its a timer also, although it doesnt work simultaneously with the thermo, but you switch between the two functions.

I only wish the reverse could be done, to set a low temp, and alert me if my mash has dropped, so I could apply more heat.
well, you kind of can, but you need 2 of them, patience, and good ears. Set one at the top end of range, one at the bottom end. when you hear 1 beep alarm you're in the zone. If it goes quiet, add heat. if both are going off, you better be mashing out....you overshot!

I bought 2 of these a while ago, and like others have said, they are not resilient units and fail pretty quick. Also check for calibration with a known source... one of mine was out a few degrees from day 1. the other drifted within a week.

I use a glass thermometer now.

This is a good little thermometer, in that it lets you input a set temperature, and the alarm goes off when that temp is reached. Great for heating mash water. Using it today.

Still, a very good buy. Its a timer also, although it doesnt work simultaneously with the thermo, but you switch between the two functions.

Why not get an ebay controller, when it got too cold it could trigger your heat too.

QldKev

Yep, that's on the cards too. Just wired one up today to a new fridge and trying to work out how to program the thing! Will be giving it some tests with the electric kettle next brew day.

Maple, I would test for calibration, but sadly my trusty stick thermo finally went in the drink this morning while I was mashing the first of two brews today. :angry: Fortunately I had already scored the Ikea unit a few days ago.

Latest posts

Back