If you had a fresh new brewery to run...what would you brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am after some thoughts from you guys as to what you would brew if you were given the reigns at a brand new brewery (small craft one) and were told:

"have some fun, but keep your eye on the prize...we do need to make money"

How many would you brew?
What styles would you brew?
What would be your volume driver or entry level beer?
Would you look at attracting tourism or entry level craft drinker, or the hardcore flavour chaser...or somewhere in between?

FWIW, this is what I was thinking...

I would start with 4 brews initially
  • I think I would have to brew an American Pale, keep it pretty traditional and recognisable to start with. Maybe something like Little Creatures Pale, Holgate Road Trip or Sierra Nevada...you know what I mean.
  • I would definitely have an entry level beer...it might be my volume driver but I would hope over time the APA would be the number 1. A nice Kolcsh could do the job I think.
  • Definitely need to have something that has a bit of colour and I am a big fan of the American Brown Ale...this would show off malt as an ingredient to the customers. Think something like Big Sky Moose Drool or Brooklyn Brown.
  • For my last one I was thinking of something to challenge the drinkers and how off some brewing credentials, without going stupid...either a nice IPA to show of some hops or a stout...I think an IPA would be the one...something like Brewdog Punk IPA perhaps.
I live in Tassie, so I think attracting tourists would definitely have to be on my radar as there isn't as many drinkers in one spot down here as say Melbourne or Sydney.

I would also consider a mid strength (call it a session ale)...there are some decent ones being produced right now, I like the hop driven ones. I would love to make a 3.5% version of Founders All Day IPA but would happily settle for something like a Rogers or Brewcult Reset Robot.

Open to you lot...what do you think?

Cheers

Chris

I'd brew everything!

I reckon a Northern Brown/Mild and/or light wheat for drivers, a blonde (American or German style), an APA, Brit Bitter, and a dry stout. A weizen, a wit and a Belgian blonde. Tripel, Munich dunkel, a Maibock and Schwarz. Seasonals: Grand Cru, Alt, Weizenbock and Czech Pils.

Other annual beers might be RIS, Strong/Old Ale, Barleywine and Doppelbock, and a couple of funky ales.

...and that's only the traditional styles.

Les

...almost forgot Am amber (at a few alc levels and hop increments, to mix it up - seasonally)

Sounds like an awesome plan

I think I'd have as my three core lines(without too much detail):

1. A 'volume seller' Draught style beer for the big volume, short time drinkers who generally don't give a crap what it tastes like as long as they can drink bulk amounts and not be offended, around 4-5%

2. A stout, something thick, creamy and heavy, around the 6.5-8.5% range with spices and malts coming out of its proverbial behind

3. An IPA for the hipsters and hopheads, probably in the 4-6% range

and then have a rotating 'specialty' beer that would either vary from season to season or just be at the whim of the brewmaster.

NikZak said:
Sounds like an awesome plan

I think I'd have as my three core lines(without too much detail):

1. A 'volume seller' Draught style beer for the big volume, short time drinkers who generally don't give a crap what it tastes like as long as they can drink bulk amounts and not be offended, around 4-5%

2. A stout, something thick, creamy and heavy, around the 6.5-8.5% range with spices and malts coming out of its proverbial behind

3. An IPA for the hipsters and hopheads, probably in the 4-6% range

and then have a rotating 'specialty' beer that would either vary from season to season or just be at the whim of the brewmaster.
Interesting beer choices mate!

Les the Weizguy said:
I'd brew everything!

I reckon a Northern Brown/Mild and/or light wheat for drivers, a blonde (American or German style), an APA, Brit Bitter, and a dry stout. A weizen, a wit and a Belgian blonde. Tripel, Munich dunkel, a Maibock and Schwarz. Seasonals: Grand Cru, Alt, Weizenbock and Czech Pils.

Other annual beers might be RIS, Strong/Old Ale, Barleywine and Doppelbock, and a couple of funky ales.

...and that's only the traditional styles.

Les

...almost forgot Am amber (at a few alc levels and hop increments, to mix it up - seasonally)
You forgot a Lambic!!!
:D

Summer - pale ale.
Autumn - Belgian something.
Winter - imperial something.
Spring - wheat beer.

Cellar door sales. Licensed bar on premises. Electronic devices prohibited.

No bike racks or clothes hooks either. Hipsters can take their fixies and pork pie hats elsewhere.

For me, it would be the three P's...Pilsner, Pale Ale and Porter. With these three brews you'd cover a majority of flavour profiles from light and crisp through dark and chewy. These would be the workhouses of the brewery to keep sales ticking over, but there's enough scope in each style to keep the creative juices of the brewer flowing. In addition, I'd do some seasonal brews, maybe four, such as a Saison or wheat beer for summer, a pumpkin ale or Oktoberfest beer around October etc.

Pretty similar to NikZak.

1. An entry level beer - probably a Golden Ale.
2. A spiced, sweet stout.
3. IPA (I don't think I could help myself; and I'd have to keep making different IPAs all the time).
4. Seasonal/rotating batches (Munich Dunkel, Bock, RIS, Belgian Strong Ale. Stuff to keep it interesting).

EDIT: Those beers are pretty much what I make for myself at home (except the entry level beer rarely gets made).

seeing tasmania has some nice produce,how a fruit type(berry) saison.oyster stout,an IPA,even a cider

house beers x 5 or 6 and seasonals/experimentals as well

so:
Lager
Pale Ale
IPA
Wheat
Brown
Stout

winter seasonals : RIS, Choc Cherry Stout, Black Lager, Barrel Aged stuff
summer seasonals : Saisons, Fruity Ales, Lagers, Watermelon Wheats etc

On another note I'd like to see country Craft Breweries have some capacity of accommodation/camping facilities so you could really enjoy the experience, especially in a place like Tasmania. I reckon they could really make a good living out of a business like that.

I wont drink and drive even if I only have one light beer, but if I could stay the night, you'd make a bit of dosh out of me for sure! My dogs, budgies and fish might not like it sitting at home waiting for their dinner, but I'd have a ball :lol:

I grew up just down the road from Butcombe Brewery (set up by an ex-Courage Regional Director). For years they pretty much brewed a single beer which slowly became the biggest selling beer in the region. After 10 years or so they'd grown from a shed in his garden to 1.6 million litres a year. Then started adding more permanent beers. Seems like a plan, Not sure how hoppy 3.6% English Bitter would go down in Tassie, but i still think the idea of a single beer to build a really strong brand identity is an excellent one. Might be a tad boring for the brewer...

Sessionish summery Ale of low 4%
American Pale Ale
American Amber Ale
American IPA
Munich Helles style malty lager
Kölsch

Then seasonal or specialty beers like IIPA, RIS, strong Belgians etc

Interesting choices, almost everyone has gone for the American styles and included an IPA. I've thought about this (my long term/retirement plan) and if i was to open my brewery you'd have to start with the end game in mind: what would sell? I get swayed by my own tastes. The typical shopper probably isn't into the hop bombs or stouts and while it would be great to broaden everyone's tastes, you can't force it upon them because they're more likely to hit up the pub. For me:
5% Aussie ballsy lager (which I'm still perfecting)
Mid strength low gravity ale with refeshing Aussie hops
Brown ale
Wheat beer (my future business partner insists on this)
Porter or stout on hand pump
Rotational tap with various types of pale ales

Seasonal would be as above. EBW, cask-aged Flanders red from local wineries, RIS, bock etc. Some beer fans like myself would expect something different like this from a private brewer, and likely willing to pay good money for a good example.
Couple all this with a range of wood fired pizzas, wings, curries and cook-it-yourself jaffles and you've got something that caters for most. And me resting on the bar pretending people give a shit that I'm the head brewer of my own establishment. Because in reality, I'll be a glorified cleaner and sanitiser.

If I were starting a brewery I would aim to be able to cater for all people however still be aimed at make broader range or 'craftier' beers. I would have an onsite bar which served in pots, schooners, pints or jugs - It's great being able to get good beer in jugs! And reasonable price for takeaway.

Beer wise, I would have:

Pilsner - for mainstream drinkers but also for anyone that enjoys a good pislner
Golden Ale - Quite tropical fruity, easy to drink, 20-30 ibu range
American Pale Ale - Strong american hop flavour, 40-50 ibu-ish and about 5% so you can have a few. Lot's of late hops.
Hefeweizen - Good balance of clove and banana. Must have style for me.
Foreign Export Stout - Nice roasty stout for the dark beer lovers
Rotating 1 - Anything from smokey beers, to single hop IPAs, milds or saisons etc.
Rotating 2 - Seasonal

Also I would love the brewery and bar to be designed well. So an open floor plan with natural lighting during the day and good lighting at night .Personally I dislike dark bars or bars that have no windows, bit depressing. Long wooden tables, bar tables with stools and then comfy couches in one area as well. It would be great to have a pool table, board games and card games around.

Food - you're general bar food that's filling and tastes great. Complimentary nuts as well!

Tropico said:
Sunday morning, the bike rack is full, and the bar is full of 50+'s in tight colourful lycra.

Hmmm ,no..... they would only want low fat latte.

Edit: I believe the term is "mamil"
I think a few of them are actually RABIL - retirement age blokes in Lycra, and a lot of them are on steroids or hormone replacement, as they're SOOO aggressive.

Don't get me started, but their money is still welcome, just stay out of sight in the biker bar around the back.

This is a cool topic, I think I would open with a few inoffensive regulars and a few interesting seasonals:
Regulars:
An American Pale - the usual cascade type APA people have come to know so well
An ESB - Not seen enough here imo, a really good ESB would stand out and offer something unique
A Porter - More approachable than a stout imo and just as much going on, big chocolate and coffee notes
A German Pils - a proper pils with big hop bitterness and malty goodness
An Altbier - Such an awesome style that would be fun for something different

Seasonals:
Maybe a big dark stout like return of the dread
Perhaps a coffee porter like mountain goats cracker of a coffee porter imo
For summer perhaps a light pale ale or golden ale with a heap of Aussie hops (S&W Pacific-ish perhaps)
A good hefeweizen
Oktoberfest

Nizmoose said:
This is a cool topic, I think I would open with a few inoffensive regulars and a few interesting seasonals:
Regulars:
An American Pale - the usual cascade type APA people have come to know so well
An ESB - Not seen enough here imo, a really good ESB would stand out and offer something unique
A Porter - More approachable than a stout imo and just as much going on, big chocolate and coffee notes
A German Pils - a proper pils with big hop bitterness and malty goodness
An Altbier - Such an awesome style that would be fun for something different

Seasonals:
Maybe a big dark stout like return of the dread
Perhaps a coffee porter like mountain goats cracker of a coffee porter imo
For summer perhaps a light pale ale or golden ale with a heap of Aussie hops (S&W Pacific-ish perhaps)
A good hefeweizen
Oktoberfest
Thanks Nizmoose...i think its pretty cool as well. Love that there are all different opinions being aired here...some cool (and maybe surprising) beer choices being thrown around.

The ESB and the Altbier are cool choices!

Back