If Money Was No Object Would You Start A Micro Brewery?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
If you won lotto or inherited a lot of money or just worked hard and had heaps of spare cash, would you start a micro brewery?

Or do you see home brewing as just a hobby and not something you would want to do as a career?

And if you did start a micro brewery what would be your dream setup?

Where would you build it?

What would you brew?

What sort of setup would you have, Just the brewery? A cafe or restaurant to serve food and show off your product? A bar built into the brewery shed and serve bar snacks and wood fired pizzas? A large beer garden where local bands would play on Sunday arvos?

Yeah if i won heaps on lotto, enough to not have to worry about running at a loss for a few years.
Enough so i don't have to skimp on ingredients, so i could slowly try and introduce some better quality, slightly more interesting beer to the local market.

Prob just fit out a brand new shed where i live, lots of shiny stuff, filtered air / rainwater, small yeast lab.
A few 200L fermenters with a 200L braumeister would work.

I think i would only be interested in doing kegs at first, possibly with some kind of cellar door arrangement.
Yeah would prob do the pizza / beer thing, i make pretty good pizza from scratch.

I have no idea what i would brew, that's something that would take a lot of thought, research and some trial and error.
Especially with the market i would be trying to penetrate.

Notices would definitely want to build one, although with the amount of people that are doing it these days not sure how viable it would be.

Would love to build it in a small tourist town ala beechworth/bright something along those lines.

Brew wise I guess you would have to have enough to keep the masses pleased with some funky brews on too

Would definitely have a simple menu pizzas etc and my mates band as house band.

If only

i would open a microbrewery and call it 'hookers'

i'd have working girls operating to offset the losses i'd be sustaining from the brewing, but it would make for a pleasant working environment

lets face it, if my beer was that good i wouldn't have to wait to win lotto to be in the business of brewing beer

30% discount for AHB members + free beer

There is plenty of micros that taste like crap but have the money to get it going

No.

Beer is one of my hobbies and as such, is not something I want to be doing more than an hour or three a week.

If money was no object I'd do things that cost a lot of money. Like lines from model's navels.

No frigging way, hard work and if you dont brew it yourself your beer standards will be sub.
There is no romance in owning or running a brewery.
Put the money in the bank and drink good beer all over the beer drinking planet.
Nev

I have a dream to start a hostel/brewpub/campground in the countryside, but if it ever happens it won't be in Australia. From what I can gather licensing fees are too high to do anything on a small scale that isn't always busy or living off of pokies.

edit: would have a kitchen as well where you eat mostly locally grown/raised food. There would be a dozen animals running around charming the guests when they're not pissing on their tents and shitting in their shoes. ahh, paradise.

No.

Beer is one of my hobbies and as such, is not something I want to be doing more than an hour or three a week.

If money was no object I'd do things that cost a lot of money. Like lines from model's navels.

Navels? That's so boring you might as well be a brewer if that's your version of excitement ;)

no

i would travel the world drinking beer from micros

No frigging way, hard work and if you dont brew it yourself your beer standards will be sub.
There is no romance in owning or running a brewery.
Put the money in the bank and drink good beer all over the beer drinking planet.
Nev

That's it.

no....cheers...spog........... :chug:

Nah - I'd just buy heaps if coke and get Nev to slave over my beers.

Kolsch not fucken hefewiezen I said you useless prick .. stop whining and brew you kiwi
Cheers
BBB

I like drinking beer. I get a huge kick out of drinking what I've made. I hate cleaning. Running a brewery means lots of cleaning.

Nope.

No.

This.

I've tried to make a career out of something I am deeply interested in the past and all it did was turn my passion into work. Bugger that. Imagine coming home after a hard day's slog and being sick of the sight of a kettle?

Nope. Brewing is a hobby and creative outlet for me.
The furthest I'd go would a short stint as a brewers assistant, just to give it a go.

Nope. I never wan to hate brewing like I sometimes hate my job.
but if i were to make it big, I would buy myself a microbrewery and make the brewmaster brew me whatever I want!

Brewing beer isn't the hardest part, selling it is the biggest hassle.
Lots of people retire and start a boutique winery, then they spend all their time trying to sell the stuff. I would try to start a cider business but I couldn't stand the idea of hanging round trying to sell the cider, boooring. Having a lot of money is a reason not to have to work, I have never understood these rich bastards who spend all their time in boring meetings and offices. Money is supposed to get you away from all that stuff.

Back