Identify that hole! (On my regulator)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
I just had my first ever keg on gas for a week to find out tonight that there is no pressure in the keg whatsoever. I didn't think I had a leak, but I now realise co2 seems to be leaking from a gaping hole in my regulator. I bought the reg second hand & I have no idea what purpose the hole serves and more importantly, what usually stops co2 from leaking out of it . Anyone able to enlighten me? It's the hole in the centre of the pic. Is there usually a screw or something here? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446030448.097342.jpg

Should not leak from there unless diaphragm is split or leaking around edge if housing is not tight may need a service kit

osprey brewday said:
check its not just the front housing that is loose. Shifter on the hex under that hole
It wasn't rattling loose, but I was able to tighten a little more. I'll see if it's still leaking.

It is a vent hole, serves two purposes
1- when you relieve the regulator (loosen the knob) it allows the internal pressure to escape, taking the stress off the diaphragm, making them last longer.
2- if something goes wrong it prevents explosive disassembly, so its a safety feature too.

Take the reg apart, have a look at the diaphragm, sometimes they just need a good clean, if the reg is leaking without the diaphragm in place the seat needs replacing, if the seat is sealing it might be a good idea to replace the diaphragm.

There is a little seat in the middle of the diaphragm, where the internal relief actions, clean that thoroughly.
Mark

MHB said:
It is a vent hole, serves two purposes
1- when you relieve the regulator (loosen the knob) it allows the internal pressure to escape, taking the stress off the diaphragm, making them last longer.
Thanks Mark. Can I assume that it *shouldnt* vent CO2 from the vessel back through the regulator? In this instance I used a carbonator cap to purge oxygen from a PET bottle, but once I backed off the gas, the bottle lost pressure through this hole. I assume gas was leaking back out from my keg in the same way.

Yep, sounds like the diaphragm is probably ted
I used to get my spares from Andale (don't know if they still stock them), generally a very good reg and worth spending some money on
M

Latest posts

Back