Ideas for a new homebrewery garage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And when you're doing some cleaning in preparation for kegging/bottling? On a day when you're not brewing.
Well you could grab a bucket or 2 from the house, but you also have a nice big kettle there......
I usually heat up about 10~15L in the Digiboil to about 50C and use it as a heated keg washer blaster with the same submersible pump and sprinkler nozzle on.
Digiknow the Fermzilla fits nicely into the Digiboil.

Attachments

• IMG_20210126_175322.jpg
    IMG_20210126_175322.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210531_011022.jpg
    IMG_20210531_011022.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210531_011130.jpg
    IMG_20210531_011130.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210531_011317.jpg
    IMG_20210531_011317.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 58
Where are you located? Does it get very hot or cold? Is this in the UK by any chance? You mention “double breeze block walls with thermal lining” is that breeze block with an insulated cavity? Have you given any thought to roof and floor insulation? Jablite under the concrete makes a big difference.

Yep - I've been in the UK for 11 years.

It's likely that there'll be insulation in the roof, but your post is a good reminder to check (and to check the ground). Thanks.
20210528_080133.jpg

Go for 20 amps, a verandah for when you are boiling, I have my BM50 on wheels so move it outside when boiling. My shed is 7x3 meters and this is just big enough. Get a 20 amp cable extension.

I had considered an option like this for my 50L BM. Do you have a photo of your setup?

BTW - Do you manually lift your grain basket?

@glennheinzel
I built my condenser from parts from a company that imports from china and supplies the dairy industry. Much less than the price of the SS brewtech ready made.
Cuts down on the watts needed for boil, odours reduced , it's quiet, no drips from overhead extractor. Extractors need to draw a lot of air and you will cool the whole room quickly moving hundreds of cubic metres of air an hour.
Have a look at this thread, my condenser is the last post.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/spike-steam-lid-used-on-65l-brewzilla.689178/#post-9057288
Also some examples on this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/biab-steam-condenser.673873/

I had considered an option like this for my 50L BM. Do you have a photo of your setup?

BTW - Do you manually lift your grain basket?
I lift my grain tube with a 240 volt winch mounted on the wall, I have fitted a pulley in the ceiling over where I have my BM set up, The winch took too much space in this situation. I made up a drip tray to stop the drips falling onto the floor.
There are photos on this site somewhere, I'll look.

I lift my grain tube with a 240 volt winch mounted on the wall, I have fitted a pulley in the ceiling over where I have my BM set up, The winch took too much space in this situation. I made up a drip tray to stop the drips falling onto the floor.
There are photos on this site somewhere, I'll look.

I love the winch system you run, I currently use a manual rope pulley set up and it's good. Certainly Glenn you should provision for a hitching point above your intended boil space to remove full grain pipe. A Swing arm style would be nice to have.

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 9.58.56 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 9.58.56 am.png

Drainage, water, hot water a bonus, fan/extractor, plenty of storage for grain buckets, empty kegs, equipment (maybe a separate the dry and wet areas). Plenty of wall space to mount a hose holder, filter setup and other various bits an pieces, a sink that drains into the sewer to dump yeast and trub etc. Bench space for scales, bottling/canning, kegging etc. A pulley that can lift your grain basket and reach the sink as well, if you can make it so you can tip straight into a bag or bin that would be great as well.

I find my brew space to be most enjoyable when it is organised and I can put my hands on things quickly and easily. Label everything and clean straight after using things.

Most of what I have mentioned has been covered so a +1 for most of it :)

Post pics as you progress!

Latest posts

Back