Idea For Sight Glass Alternative?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Ok well I have been thinking about the different ways I could measure the volume in my new kettle (keg). Sight glass could be a bit dodgey due to the heat coming up the sides .....

Anyway I was thinking if I used the spear modified it so I could drop it in the wort and get it to stick up vertical. I could then get some kind of wooden or plastic rod which floats and stick it down the center of the spear. Once it is calibrated you could read the volume based on how high it floated ..... I guess you could even mount it externally.

Anyone ever tried something like this? Any ideas what I could use as the floating rod?

An idea anyway.

Have a look at Dicko's brewery pics in the gallery , he has a measure mounted inside his kettle.

Simple and effective

I have secretly developed a device for measuring the level in my boiler, to an accuracy of aroun 100ml.

I can now reveal, now that patent applications have been approved, that it is a stick. But not just any stick...no, no, no, this stick has lines on it!

My stick has lines on it AND holes in it for stirring (patent pending). I wouldnt claim 100 ml accuracy, maybe 500 ml.

My mash spoon has markings every litre from 25 to 35 litres.
Works for me.

Doc

Have seen dicko's scale looks great but I am not sure I want to drill any more holes in the keg just yet .... I usually use the marked spoon idea but was pondering a good use for the spear while I was watching some wort boil ....

If I ever get around to making some elaborate measure from the spear I will post a pic for everyone to critique (laugh :))

JasonY my dip stick is the old spear with scatches on it.
but generally my levels are the just below the top ring in the keg is starting volume of 32l and the weld is end volume of 25l.
too easy.

Jayse

Hi Jason Y,
If you didnt want to drill another hole in the keg and you wanted to use a measure similar to mine, you could make it out of the same flat aluminium but instead of bolting it on just bend it so it fits over the top edge of the keg.
Just another thought,
Cheers

Back