Id Like To Brew A Belgian Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Because I think I would like it, and I have lots of Belgian yeast slurry, and lots of hops Id like to get through.

Any suggestions tips and fierce opposition from anyone would be most welcome. ;)

do it im drinking the one from the isb big brew day this year. its very drinkable.

What Belgian yeast do you have? I've made two; 1st one used Ardennes, 2nd one used Trappist. I prefered the first one.

From memory it was 50/50 Pils & Vienna with a touch of Caramunich I. Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy & Riwaka hop flowers.
Any fruity citrus, spicy or floral hops will work well.

Feral's Raging Flem uses Candi sugar but its not required.

What Belgian yeast do you have? I've made two; 1st one used Ardennes, 2nd one used Trappist. I prefered the first one.

From memory it was 50/50 Pils & Vienna with a touch of Caramunich I. Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy & Riwaka hop flowers.

Funnily enuf, both those strains of yeast.

barls.. thanks.
Interesting .. only 50IBU and under 6% abv
I dont know alot about them, but was under the impresson they were bigger beers all round

50 IBU and 6% ? C'mon daz, that's breakfast for you mate. I say do it, and make sure you tell me when its ready to drink hehe.

Are you planning on brewing an American IPA with Belgian yeast or a true belgian IPA using more traditional Belgian style hops?

Funnily enuf, both those strains of yeast.

barls.. thanks.
Interesting .. only 50IBU and under 6% abv
I dont know alot about them, but was under the impresson they were bigger beers all round

It is a very variable style. De Ranke XX Bitter is 6.2%, Poperings Hommel Bier is 7.5% & Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel is 9%. Then there is all the American brewed Belgian IPAs with Stone's Cali-Belgique coming in at 6.9% & Terrapins Monk's Revenge at 9.6% as just 2 examples.

Going into summer I'd aim for something around 6.5% & 50-60 IBU. And go Ardennes for sure seeings as you have it.

It is a very variable style. De Ranke XX Bitter is 6.2%, Poperings Hommel Bier is 7.5% & Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel is 9%. Then there is all the American brewed Belgian IPAs with Stone's Cali-Belgique coming in at 6.9% & Terrapins Monk's Revenge at 9.6% as just 2 examples.

Going into summer I'd aim for something around 6.5% & 50-60 IBU. And go Ardennes for sure seeings as you have it.

It's an interesting style. I know some people don't like the combo of US fruity hops with Belgian yeast, but I've had Stone's Cali-Belgique and really enjoyed it, but the De Ranke XX Bitter didn't do it for me. But I guess it depends on what style of beer you wanting to drink, I think your advice going into summer is good.

I've used Trappist, but not Ardennes. Can you describe the difference?

T.

I got more spicy phenols from the Ardennes where as the Trappist was more peachy esters. Also the Trappist attenuated a bit TOO much. Still a nice beer though. I've been playing around with mixed strain fermentations lately and plan on using both of these strains in the Belgian Rye IPA listed in my sig thing below.

i like the 515 in mine, but have the others as well just preferred this one in my beer

I've used Trappist, but not Ardennes. Can you describe the difference?

T.
I find Ardenne to be a real up front belgian yeast that is so obviously the yeast in La Chouffe and his little brothers. Citrusy and somewhat similar to Hoegaaaaaaaaarden.
Trappist HG I find to be very malty and 'round' flavourered.
Both brilliant yeasts.
I do agree, that the HG rips through wort and leaves a drier finish, even though it seems more malty.

Dont panik, MJE, I think I will be heading closer to the top end of the style than the quaffer end.
Maybe 70-80 IBu and 7-8% abv.

Just not a lot of recipes online for me to investigate, thats all.

Pirrat may be the only example of the style Ive ever had

Went with this...

4kg Munich
3kg Pilsner
.25 Dark Crystal
.25 Wheat
.5kg of Sugar

20g Galena FWH 25IBU
20g Chinook FWH 23IBU
45g Northern Brewer 45 min 24IBU
15g Northern Brewer 15min 5IBU
15g Amarillo Gold 5 min
15g Styrian Goldings 1 min
15g Styrian Goldings Dry Hop

Wyeast Ardenne Yeast

Its a beautiful copper colour, right now.
I will adjust the sugar addition to get me to the target 7.7abv to go with the 77IBU

Agree that Ardennes is the best for this. I brew a very hoppy US Dubbel (that's what I call it) using this yeast, lots of Chinook and Cascade. The darkness comes from Caraamber.

Latest posts

Back