I wonder what the waste will be?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wiki sez:

Gasification is a process that converts organic- or fossil fuel-based carbonaceous materials into carbon monoxide, hydrogen and carbon dioxide. This is achieved by reacting the material at high temperatures (>700 °C), without combustion, with a controlled amount of oxygen and/or steam. The resulting gas mixture is called syngas (from synthesis gas) or producer gas and is itself a fuel. The power derived from gasification and combustion of the resultant gas is considered to be a source of renewable energy if the gasified compounds were obtained from biomass.

and "Environmental advocates have called gasification "incineration in disguise" and argue that the technology is still dangerous to air quality and public health. "Since 2003 numerous proposals for waste treatment facilities hoping to use... gasification technologies failed to receive final approval to operate when the claims of project proponents did not withstand public and governmental scrutiny of key claims," according to the Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives.[13] One facility which operated from 2009–2011 in Ottawa had 29 "emissions incidents" and 13 "spills" over those three years. It was also only able to operate roughly 25% of the time."

but no direct comment on what the waste streams are going to be per se.

I just wish we could figure out how to run an self-sustaining fusion reactor, then we could crack all the hydrogen we needed from raw water! As it stands, cracking hydrogen out of natural gas is probably more beneficial than from gasification at this stage.

I just wish we could figure out how to run an self-sustaining fusion reactor, then we could crack all the hydrogen we needed from raw water! As it stands, cracking hydrogen out of natural gas is probably more beneficial than from gasification at this stage.
When I was 15 - 16 years of age I built a gasometer with 2 barrels using chicken shit, straw and water to produce methane gas. I had read about an American farmer who had ran a diesel engine for x amount of years on methane which he had converted from his cattle's shit. The waste was tipped back onto the land as liquid manure.

I hear its about ten years off..

That would make for a nice chance of pace from them being the biggest polluter.
True, but for the well being of the planet it would be good to see each of those in the race sharing the accumulated knowledge.

True, but for the well being of the planet it would be good to see each of those in the race sharing the accumulated knowledge.

Oh no, another kick in the balls for our filthy coal industry!

Biggest kick in the balls the coal industry, and the gas industry got was from those who voted Greens and Labor. The amount of untapped gas we have in Queensland could keep us going until these fusion reactors could come on line. Would get me back into a well paid job as well.

They kind of are
There is a facility being built in France right now with a 500mW reactor that'll be done in about 10 years

As good as it would be to work together, I can't see the Chinese giving much away, to much prestige involved. Good to see you are still here sp0rk.

Good idea but is only moving the real problem from one area to another? The plastic is still there so what happens as the road starts to wear away? The plastic just gets scrubbed down into smaller pieces which will find there way into waterways and eventually marine life. This the problem with so called biodegradable plastic bags, they just get smaller so we can't see them doesn't mean that they're gone totally. 'Micro-plastic' as it's called is now being found in nearly everyone's crap in the western world as we eat it and drink it in water, especially if you're inclined to buy bottled water.

Something like this was done near me last year,http://www.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov....ST-NSW-ROAD-BUILT-WITH-PLASTIC-BAGS-AND-GLASS

Not sure what the answer is but plastic has really stuffed the environment.

I think the answer is to stick it into the roads until they can get a better solution, its not harming the environment. Better in the roads than blowing around everywhere, or in the ocean. I wonder if it makes the roads quieter?

Back