I Want to support my LHBS but......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Only1MADMaN

Reaction score
Hi all.

I love a good trip to my LHBS.
I enjoy having a chat and picking up some odds and ends BUT,
I just can’t justify the price of some of the items when online it’s ruffly 80% cheaper.

A $35 brass Co2 adapter fitting no rounder than a 20c coin and no higher than a matchbox is $14 online
A $25 carbonation bottle cap is $9 online.
All with free shipping from Victoria.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand how a business makes money but, I just can’t justify spending $160 on Co2 fittings when I can spend the same for $60 online and buy the exact same products and not have to leave the house.

How do businesses survive under extreme conditions like this.

I will do my best to support, but if my minister for war and finance gets finds out on back to online shopping.

Cheers.

Why not support both?
I make an effort to support local, but as you say some of the pricing they take the piss on.
I try to get yeasts and hops local, sometimes grain.
I find that equipment, especially little odds and ends is not feasible to get local. Even if you added $10 postage it is still cheaper online.
In saying this though most of the cheaper equipment is straight out of China and the quality is not there.

Why not support both?
I make an effort to support local, but as you say some of the pricing they take the piss on.
I try to get yeasts and hops local, sometimes grain.
I find that equipment, especially little odds and ends is not feasible to get local. Even if you added $10 postage it is still cheaper online.
In saying this though most of the cheaper equipment is straight out of China and the quality is not there.

Yeah Tanked84 it’s a fine line.

I usually buy hops, malt, dextrose, fermenter fittings and bottles.

I’ve seen a few bad products on here from China and I’m fully aware of the current quality coming from cheap eBay sellers.

I think your right.
Equipment online, ingredients instore.
[emoji41][emoji1360]

The online shop in Victoria would be ordering it straight from China where they would have to buy in BULK. They have to sell them, so they make a small margin but on lots. Your LHBS would probably be buying it from kegking or kegland , so add in their margin.

The online shop in Victoria would be ordering it straight from China where they would have to buy in BULK. They have to sell them, so they make a small margin but on lots. Your LHBS would probably be buying it from kegking or kegland , so add in their margin.

Totally understandable.
But it a 210% mark up!

Just found Cheeky Peak Brewery Albury and they seem to be spot on with online prices.

Can get everything from them for $65.
♂️

I can't complain. I live about 2 hours North of you and my LHBS is excellent, he sells most things for what you buy on line at the 2 major shops, its a bit like medicare some bulk bill others are happy to gain and retain customers, and others want a larger slice of the pie. He is also very knowledgable and has no probs talking to you about things. I actually feel sorry for him as at times he has put an order in for me only to be told out of stock but I can get on line and go to his suppliers website and get the item. I have also had the experience that he has got things in for me on the suppliers special for retailers and he passes the discount on, very honest and trustworthy man.

LHBS owner here.

I can't speak for others but we are aware of on-line prices from the likes of Keg King/Land and price our stuff slightly less than their freight inclusive prices to hopefully make a sale.
Having said that, a lot of places, mainly on Ebay, are selling stuff well over recommended retail but must be relying on people thinking that if it's on the Internet it must be the best price.

Come in, have a chat and support a local business.

Cheers.

I struggle with this also. Not having buckets of cash I try and get as best value for money possible. When I set up my keg fridge I priced up Kegland vs Kegking, LHBS wasn't even in the frame.

Having said that, I use my LHBS for ingredients etc. I also paid the $25 or whatever for the carb cap because I am impatient! and that is another benefit of the LHBS I guess. You don't have to wait.

I struggle with this also. Not having buckets of cash I try and get as best value for money possible. When I set up my keg fridge I priced up Kegland vs Kegking, LHBS wasn't even in the frame.

Having said that, I use my LHBS for ingredients etc. I also paid the $25 or whatever for the carb cap because I am impatient! and that is another benefit of the LHBS I guess. You don't have to wait.

Yeah I can be the same way. I like to have it now and that is the plus f having the LHBS.
But it makes my brain hurt that I can get it online from an Australia supply store front for half the price.

It must be hard to stay relevant these days.
I have a moral/wallet dilemma.

Back