• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

I want to go into All-Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowBeard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to commit to all-grain-brewing. I used to brew the extracts over ten years ago and stopped some eight years ago, travelled and now I need a hobby!

It seems the new Brewzilla looks like the best value for money, the advice I seek is what accessories I should get with it?

And my favourite beer type to drink is the mighty Dunkel, a close second is a Pilsner followed by Pale Ales (if that influences my accessory decisions).

Hey Snowbeard
Welcome to the dark side.
I too spent years on extract and once I went into all grain the brews you will enjoy are delicious.
I brew with the grainfather and whilst it is a good all in one the software is a bit clunky.
So I am not familiar with the brewzilla but hopefully it has a good user friendly experience.
Now to add to your question on what u may need I can start with atleast 5 small plastic containers for hop additions. I also have 2 20ltr plastic buckets sterilized with starsan to be able to clean as I go. Cleanliness is paramount.
A good set of scales to measure with.
Most of my grainbills have around 6.5 - 7kg grain so it's always good to measure out before starting..
I mainly brew pale ales,ipas and iipas so I change my water profile with Epsom salts and gypsum.
Little tricks like placing a teastrainer over the return pipe during mashing is something I have just found beneficial.
Don't add hop additions straight into the kettle as I have found you get blocked recirculation during cooling.
I hope I haven't rambled on too much but have enjoyed a couple of ipas.

I went with the Guten over the Brewzilla when I upgraded from robo2. I liked peace of mind the extra volume gave me as I had a couple close calls with boil overs with the robo2. So far so good. I still keep a spay bottle around just in case I need but haven't had too. Could be the wider kettle also helps. I picked up a few garden hose quick connects from Bunnings to attach to the chiller. A good mash paddle/spoon is always handy to have as is a refractometer. Most shops will mill grain for so I wouldn't bother with a mill unless you are going to buying grain in bulk. +1 on the buckets. I always find use for them and even small 3&5 litre jugs. Kitchen scale for weighing hops if you don't have one. That's all I can think of for now.

Yes I would recommend a good quality stainless paddle and hop spider.
I found by adding the hops straight into the brew can give a poor recirculating when it comes time to cooling as hop residue can block filters.

If you can get a good accurate easy to read refractometer then get one of these.
Hydrometer definitely as a back up. As I said the refracto I have I just can't read as accurate as the hydrometer.

Another question
Refractometer or Hydrometer? Which to get?
Many brewers prefer a hydrometer but a refractometer is easier. A few drops is all you need. They arent accurate with fermenting wort but you can use a conversion calculator (Found online and with most brewing software). The key to good all grain beer is record everything for repeat ability. Get yourself a decent brewing app such as Beersmith or Brewfather.
For a beginner I think Brew father is probably more user friendly.

Record everything such as your volumes, start of boil gravity and end of boil gravity, etc. If you go the single vessel option such as the Brewzilla or Guten (I have and prefer the Guten) You will need a vessel to hold sparge water. Some brewers use another vessel such as an urn. Some heat their sparge water in the Guten first then transfer this to a bucket and keep covered and wrapped to keep warm. I know a guy from QLD who sparges direct from his cold water tap and has never had any efficiency issues (Hes is/was well known on here and has been brewing for years)

A few more tips.

• Dont buy your measuring jugs from a $2 shop. They arent accurate. Get decent quality jugs and check the accuracy against a known quantity
  • Put some starsan in a spray bottle. Handy to spray things you need to sanitise.
  • Get some PBW or other brewery cleaner.
Good luck with it all.

Latest posts

Back