I want to get elected!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have watched many greens candidates speak and they generally speak with well constructed and soundly based points of view. You don't have to agree with them, but it is rare that they say outrageous things that they can't back up with good evidence. One nation on the other hand. According to one of their spokespeople Islam is a country, haram is a threat to our way of life and jews believe in Jesus. Somehow I think the greens are a little more credible than one nation. But hey, the great thing about democracy is you can vote for whoever you please with the only repercussion being a healthy debate on a brewing forum.

I worked as a Government employee

The old saying of being promoted to their level of incompetence rings true for so many politicians

The last thing I want is my brewing forum clagged up with politicians. Rack off politicians.

Grantw said:
The last thing I want is my brewing forum clagged up with politicians. Rack off politicians.
Thou shalt decree that this thread shall only contain political content that is within the constraint of the Original Post. Those that wish to disagree shall brew a lambic or some such other similar brew that may be deemed equivalent to Tooheys Red

Oh, this has t really gained any quality since it started. Attracting the usual 'look I have a phobia, come associate with me'.

Fish, mate, are you sure you weren't drunk when you signed up for this bs! I wasn't brought up in this country so forgive me if I do get something wrong, but what I learnt was that public service (yes, including pollies) is meant to be for the welfare of the public you serve. Running on petty personal aims is hardly public service, even if you do serve the interests of 0.01% or something, unless you are looking at the welfare of the biggest lot as well, you don't serve the public.

btw, I am definitely pro animal rights, i.e., leave them alone when they aren't coming into your home and eating your sammich. Killing animals (or people!) for pleasure is vile and self centred. I get a massive conflict trying to figure out killing for food but best left at that.

Threads like this pretty much sum up why I'm embarrassed to tell strangers about my hobby. It's not that people say "Homebrew, hey? I had some of my uncle's homebrew once and it tasted like shit. I bet your beer is shit too." It's that people think "Home brewer, hey? That uncle of mine really is an ignorant fuckwit. I bet this guy is the same."

YoungOne said:
Ah, get over yourself. I'm sure there is a good person in there just waiting to get over their latent bitterness and negativity. You'll be happier.
If you're going to try to make cutting remarks do try to understand the actual meaning the words you use. It's pretty important.

Rupert Murdoch is laughing at all austrailians, your never going to get positive press if you want to tax the rich and give it to the poor, you will just be labeled "EXTREME" or "INCOMPETENT".

@young one: It goes every way. People should not be employed in jobs they can't do. They often are but they shouldn't be.

If you have a link to either young or the perverted guy I would appreciate it. I don't come at this specifically from a place of defending the greens. I come from wanting to understand where the animosity comes from because when I look at their policies, they seem well constructed and relevant. Even when I disagree, I can't realistically brand them as loons. One nation, dlp, cdp, rua, katter and even labor and liberal I can safely say I think have at least one policy each that belongs in chelmsford.

Would someone please engage with a specific greens policy and tell me why it's lunacy?

manticle said:
I look at their policies
You know that this is where the fundamental issue lays, right?

You think they can be shamed then?

All evidence is to the contrary.

What baffles me is all the talk by our pollies of how we need to "buy Australian" to create jobs.It seems straightforward to me.Reduce tax on aussie made goods.Up the tax on imports.Abracadabra.....more jobs.

i just ran out of popcorn

thanks guys

wereprawn said:
What baffles me is all the talk by our pollies of how we need to "buy Australian" to create jobs.It seems straightforward to me.Reduce tax on aussie made goods.Up the tax on imports.Abracadabra.....more jobs.
We would have to come up with a new term. I know, let's call it a Tariff. You heard it here first.

goomboogo said:
We would have to come up with a new term. I know, let's call it a Tariff. You heard it here first.
Ok.We need to INCREASE import tarrifs(tax) and reduce tax on aussie made goods. I know, lets call it tax relief for Australians.

It's not about the cost of goods. It is about the cost of manufacturing. So the manufacturers left.

There's no going back without building a stronger manufacturing sector. Increasing the cost of (now essential) imports only increases cost of living which increases wages which makes local manufacturing even harder.

wereprawn said:
Ok.We need to INCREASE import tarrifs(tax) and reduce tax on aussie made goods. I know, lets call it tax relief for Australians.
How well did it work the last time this policy was in place? What is your judgement regarding the macroeconomic effect of dismantling tariff protection in the last few decades?

bum said:
It's not about the cost of goods. It is about the cost of manufacturing. So the manufacturers left.

There's no going back without building a stronger manufacturing sector. Increasing the cost of (now essential) imports only increases cost of living which increases wages which makes local manufacturing even harder.
True. But if local goods are cheaper it filters through the whole economy , including manufacturing. If a product is not available as "Australian made" the extra import tax does not apply. As soon as a similar product is made here the tax applies. Surly this would encourage new aussie manufacturers and entice foreign companies to produce their products here

Back