I Think Its A Stout Of Some Type

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
well guys i have at my disposal,a can of coopers stout 1.7kg,1kg dried dark malt ,1kg of morgans dark crystal malt,cluster hop pellets,so obviousally i am after some sort of stout.i have made coopers stout in the past and generally added the hbs adda pack for stouts,this usually comes out ok.this time i am thinking the can of coopers stout,1kg of the dark dried malt,then how much of the dark krystal malt should i put in and do you think i should use any of the hops,i used these hops in my last coopers pale ale and used about 15 grms boiled for 1 minute, then pressed into a coffee strainer to get the liquid out.i cant say that they imparted a noticibale taste to my pale ale although i used a kg of malt which gave the pale ale a slightly sweet taste,although a nice beer probably a touch too sweet for drinking a lot in 1 hit,maybe more hops in that would have helped,anyway i am into this stout so just wondering what you guys would recomend,oh and the other thing i am using the yeast from under the lid of the coopers can,also do you think a stout needs to be in secondry or shall i leave it in primary for a couple of weeks then bottle
cheers
fergi

Fergi

Boil the 1kg of dark malt in 7 ltrs of water with 30gms of cluster for 20mins
5mins laft of the boil add 10gms of cluster.
Then pour straight into the fermenter.
If u caan get some grains - u can steep them in water for a hour prior to using that water to boil in.
I recomend
75gms of Roast Barley
100 Black Patent or Carafa Special II
200 Choc
250Xtal

If u can get down to lyndoch - i will do it up and crack it fresh for you.
Can also supply some of the following yeasts:
1026 Cask Ale
1029 WhitBread
1338 European Ale
Did have some 1084 but not sure where it is - think it is at a mates place.

I am home all day tomorrow....

Hope this helps u out.

thanks gmk,you didnt mention my dark crystal malt,no room for this or doesnt it suit the stout.also should i strain the boil before i tip it in
cheers
fergi

Sorry Fergi

I would use 250 of teh morgans Dark Xtal added to the 1 kg of dark dried malt.

Hope this helps you out.

Back