I Seem To Buy More Home Brewing Stuff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
A bit here and a bit there ,I am not even into kegging ,Ok I got a lot more stock of grain and hops ,I broke a hydrometer and a turkey baster another gas burner another regulator another gas fuse the copper pipe and the fittings .
If I ever go shopping thats all I look at.

Is this normal or is it going from making the basic beer to a full blown hobby that is the primary focus .

I have a ton of gear the garage is full of bottles and fridges .

Does others have this problem ??

Pumpy

Pumpy said:

[post="48139"][/post]​

Pumpy, try not to think of it as a problem, more of an opportunity.

"Hello, my name is wee stu, and I have an opportunity,"

Thanks Wee stu perhaps I getting too negative about , I should "always look on the bright side of life "
Pumpy

I have a shed and two shelves in the pantry and two shelves in the laundry full of brewing equip/ingredients/stuff.
A chest freezer with five kegs and a four tap font in the kitchen.
A fridge in the laundry. A chest freezer in the shed, plus a fridge, plus a bar fridge.
I have a full shelf on the bookshelf in the study of brewing books. There are more books by the bed and in the ensuite toilet.
I have a notebook in the kitchen that is always logged on to AHB, another in the study.
I got a package today at work with grain in it. I got a call on the way home to say I have another parcel at work. It will be more beer stuff.
We don't have a problem. We are just single minded in our pursuit of a perfect pint :lol:

Doc

Pumpy said:

Pumpy
[post="48139"][/post]​

hey, do you tell your wife she has a "problem" whenever she goes shopping??

its not a problem...its an adventure.
joe

Thanks Doc , I take solace in your words .

Joecast yeah your right there her hobby is shopping

pumpy

The beer gear just keeps growing and growing.

The Mrs thinks that now that I have kegs, I won't need bottles... helloooo? Barley Wine???

Hey, who is knocking the supermarket brewer? It is a great place for brew supplies.

Fruit and veg section, you can always make a fruit beer.

Fruit juice section, anything but citrus to go in the beer.

Herb section, hmmm, must do a wit soon.

Sugar section, gee I need some more priming sugar.

Health section, multivitamins.

Jam section, always some honey here for a brew.

Breakfast aisle, rolled oats, rolled barley, corn flakes, rice bubbles.

Cleaning aisle, homebrand napisan, draino, bleach.

Homebrew section, a cheap kit for starters.

such dedication doc
heres :beer: to you never finding the perfect pint so that you can have a long and adventurous journey.
cause when you find it the journey may slow up for a moment or too.

cheers in beer adventures
big d

The Mrs didn't mind me buying half of Asher's old brewery, until I told her that I need a grain mill to go with it, and a NASA burner, and better temperature control in the way of another fridge, then making all this great beer I'll need to keg it, and that will require yet another fridge, and taps, and drip trays and and and.......

I think that was about the point where she said I was foaming at the mouth, and left the room.

bloody wimmen, eh?

I can't help myself either , been on hoildays and visited a couple of op shops , I came home with a selection of lids from old pots ( these are for my kettles)
A small urn and several other bit that i don't need as well ;)

Batz

& I thought boats were a never ending black hole!!! Used to convince the wife that with the fish we got it easily paid for itself - hehe

Now I've given away the boat & brewing is my main obsession - looking forward to the day when savings outweigh expenditure - does it ever happen? At least the wifes convinced (yet again) that hubbys hobby is saving us money - a bit like all the money she saves us in the sales... :D :D

Ross said:
looking forward to the day when savings outweigh expenditure - does it ever happen?
Hey Ross,
I reckon this is a constantly happening thing. I just keep mentioning spending anything from $50 to $80 for a slab of half decent beer every week. Once the other half starts adding that up she sees that the expenditure isn't too bad.

cheers
johnno

:excl: Yeah,

What U said!!!

Maybe it's an obsession, or just a pre-possession.
But no-one ever went to gaol for stalking a beer... :p

Put it in the same terms as gambling. If U can't afford the money, stop spending it. If you can afford it, do as U like. Hell, it's your money.

Most people do these things incrementally and advance their brewery slowly. Suddenly, one day, there is a microbrewery in the shed/ under the house/ in the spare room

It's only a problem if it affects other aspects of your life.
Brewing is certainly better than other addictions/ hobbies.

So saith Seth :beerbang:

When we started, we just wanted some milk crates of emtpy beer bottles. :)
Then we needed another fermenter, for racking. And some hoses.
Takes a lot of cleaning gear to keep this stuff in good nick, too.
Thought a heating pad might come in handy, and it was cheap.
And you can't bottle properly without a Super Automatica! :D
But bottle washing by hand is a pain in the arse, so you need one of those washer thingies, and a tree to dry them on.
Hmm, maybe sodium met isn't the go, try some other sanitisers. :huh:
What about some of these hop bags & pellets? Wine yeast & nutrient?
We thought we should try small batches of cider first, in some 10 litre fermenters.
Some brown sugar & honey as well as DME may be interesting.
But glass is better- so a 15l & a 25l demijohn would be handy.
We've run out of airlocks and taps again. :(

And so it goes, it just kind of creeps up on you...the move the AG will need pots, esky/mash tun, grain bags, better thermometers, and probably full on temperature control, ie a fridge.

This is without any keg system, March pump, NASA burner etc.

I love this thread...he says as unwrapping just delivered CFWC and bonus bag of grain from Goliath..and theres still so many more goodies to buy.

:blink:

BLOODY Elle is this what a newbie has got to look forward to ? :unsure:

Hmmmmm its all worth it :chug:

I obviously touched a nerve that was close to everyones heart so once you start it does become a obsessive compulsive disorder .

I feel like I have joined one of those weird religous cults once they let you in you cant escape it .

The Anxious Hoard Brewers ( AHB) there only purpose in life top find every bottle, boiler ,new gadget from the cooking shop ,different grain and hop and special wooden spoon with holes in and build littles contraptions so that they feel that they are not missing out on brewing life in any possible shape or form .

God save us from the brewing habit ( that is if you want to be saved) pumpy

6 SS bal valves - $????
104l esky - $????
3 nasa burners - $????

The look on the missus's face...... priceless.

Back