I Return...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindaloo

Bouncer
Reaction score
Hey all!!

I'm back and brewing after a 6 month (or so) break. I've just bottled a Muntons Bock with some choc malt grain steeped in for some tasty pleasure and there's a Morgan's Wheat bubbling away as well. I'm keen to start all-grain brewing and other crazy projects so yeah, I'd just like to say that this community has grown and grown, it's great to see so many members and new threads. I've got a lot of reading to catch up on!!

Cheers guys, have a good one.

Vindaloo.

Welcome back.
Been wondering where that other moderator has been.
Thought you must have brewed a bad batch :p

Doc

Vind'

I've been wondering where you were as there was something I wanted to thank you for :blink:

You may recall your discussions about Chilli beers.

I followed through on it, added a chilli to one of my Ales and let it condition for about 2 months and I may have slightly overdone the chilli!!!!!!!!

One mouthful and Oh %$#@^. Luckily all I did was add one chilli to one beer. The remaining 95% of the bottle is still in the fridge - I'm going to use it as a marinade :D

Trev

Yeah, you've gotta be careful with that :)

I recently discovered a whole lot of chilli ale that has been conditioning for around 6 months. I'm scared to open it. It's going to kill me, I swear. I have a friend who really likes it though. Crazy. I've got 4 or 5 1.25L bottles left, if anyone in Perth is game then you're more than welcome to give it a shot ... goodness knows I'm not in any hurry to drink it though. But who knows, maybe 6 months in the bottle did it some good.

Damnit, where's the pirate smiley .... ah well, for now,

I'm game!

Last time I tried the chillibeer it was damn tasty! A little on the hot side, but thats not too much of an issue.

Ive got a heap of home-grown chilli's sitting around at home, that i think will make their way into some of the bottles of my beer thats running at the moment, the chillis aren't very potent, so i was thinking 1 per bottle with 1/2 the seeds, or 2 per bottle no seeds..?

any thoughts?

I did a couple of bottles with one 2cm birdseye chilli in each, including seeds. I just scored the skin of the the chillis before I popped them in the bottle. Conditioned for 3 months. They were fantastic. Perfect amount of heat and flavour, and went very well with a big bowl of chilli con carne! You gota know how potent you chillis are, though.

- Snow.

Alright Kook, I'll collect the beers today. They are at my parent's house, so I've not seen them or been there for a while! :) I'll let you know. If anyone else in Perth is game then feel free to PM me or post a reply.

Laters!!

Vindaloo.

GRSman,

I used a little rocket chilli, maybe 30mm long. I didn't score it or anything, just dropped it straight in the bottle (BTW it was a Grolsch swingtop, not a longneck).

Now these Rocket Chillis are indeed hot, I use them to make a fairly potent sauce much admired by those who have burnt the lining off their mouths :D

Still, next time, I'm going to use no more than half of one.

Trev

I have just bottled a Superior Brown Ale (grumpys masterbrew) and tried 4 with chillies of different varieties from the garden. I used purple delight (20mm long and 6/10 heat), birdseye (60mm and 7/10) and tepin (12mm round and 10/10). Those tepins are evil little f'ers.

Just gave them a wipe with an alcohol swab, didn't score them, just popped them in the bottle.

What do people reckon is the best beer to match with chillies?

Well now, interesting. I collected the chilli beers from my parents' house, where they have been aging happily for about 6 months now. My fruit Blonde still tastes like cat's piss, but that was a lost cause anyway. However, the chilli ale that I had chilling at a friend's house (for 6 months mind you) wasn't half bad! It wasn't very hot either but hey, that's the luck of the draw. I found a few 1.25L bottles of Honey Real Ale with 2 chillies floating in the top.... death. Fatality. No, Beerality.

Vinds.

Latest posts

Back