I.r.a

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
guys
due to aust post late /slow shipping <_< im having to change my brew schedule so am going to do an irish red ale.(great lakes brewing company conway irish ale)
the recipe calls for amongst other grains some belgian special b which from memory can be substituted with cara aroma.
prob is i havent any caraaroma in my arsenal/war chest so am thinking of using melanoidin malt instead.
any thoughts guys?
this is going down on tuesday or wednesday so have a wee bit of time up my sleeve like tomorrow only.

cheers
big d

BigD the Melanoidan is a sub for Belgian Special B.
If u have some caraamber or amber malt - i would swap for the Caramber.
Could also use a low EBC Crystal.

Hope this helps...

Good Day
I always use melanoidan in my IRA's with good effect IMHO. You will need some type of crystal grain to give the red tint. !00 to 200 gms of a darker crystal might be better than more of a lighter crystal. 50 gms of choc malt can help.
All the best, Barry.

Barry,

Are you able to post your IRA recipe in this topic or the recipes section ?

TIA,
Doc

Good Day Doc
The IRA recipe is on the craftbrewers site in the recipe section. I used JW pale and it worked well but I would try MO next time just to see the difference. If anyone has Golden Promise that should be ideal.
All the best, Barry.

thanks for the replies guys.
barry the recipe has .113g of crystal 140 in it so reckon this will do the job.
will check out your recipe on craftbrewer.

cheers
big d

Barry cranston said:
Good Day Doc
The IRA recipe is on the craftbrewers site in the recipe section. I used JW pale and it worked well but I would try MO next time just to see the difference. If anyone has Golden Promise that should be ideal.
All the best, Barry.
Barry,

I brewed up your Irish Red and have finally kegged it tonight. It tastes awesome. Can't wait for it to be carbonated and ready for proper drinking (although that didn't stop me have the last litre straight from the fermenter tonight) :p
Now if only I had the Nitrogen/CO2 mix on my keg system

Beers,
Doc

PS: I used JW Trad Ale Malt as the base

sounds good doc.mine is still in cc awaiting a spare keg which im aiming at being available this weekend.got sick of bottling all my extra brews. <_<

cheers
big d

Good Day Doc
Gee, I must put the IRA on the list of brews to brew ASAP. Thanks for reminding me.
All the best, Barry.

Latest posts

Back