I.p.a.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
I have only done one half grain / half extract beer so far .. an Australian Pale Ale, and I want to do a half/half I.P.A. for me next brew. I plan on entering my pale and the IPA in the new TCB brewing challenge.

Does anyone have a partial or half/half recipe for a I.P.A.?

In stock at home I have 50g EGK hops, 2.5kg light malt extract so I mainly need more hops and the grain bill. I was hoping to use WLP010 as I have an active starter going at the moment.

I have never done a IPA before and see that they start around 1.075+ with 60+IBU .. I have never tried a beer this big before.

HELP!

The new Coopers IPA kit is 45IBU and provides 23 gravity points. Your 2.5Kg light malt extract will provide 40 gravity points and the 50g EKG hops will provide 20IBU

So we have 45 + 20 = 65IBU and 23 + 40 = 63 gravity points

Replacing the kit with malt and hops 2.5Kg JW Pils malt and an extra 100g EKGs

Jovial Monk

Hi manaen

Is that dry or liquid malt extract? It will make a difference to the JM calculations

Cheers
Pedro

Liquid light malt unhopped extract. I am not real keen on using a kit, I would rather buy fresh hops and grains to make a half grain / half extract wort.

Just mainly after what I should use for the grain bill to add to my malt extract.

how did your pale ale turn out? if you've tried it, and liked it use that as a staring point. up the malt and hops a bit and you're there.
joe

Here is a recipe I made recently. Still in seconday.

Some of the calculations ie IBUs don't add up as I was learning to use BeerSmith at the time.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Aaron IPA
Brewer: Aaron
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 26.33 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 95.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 66.7 %
1.00 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 22.2 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.25 kg Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
60.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 42.9 IBU
40.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 26.0 IBU
25.00 gm Challenger [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
15.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 2.1 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (Dry Hop 7 daHops -
1.22 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 1.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 3.00 L of water at 76.7 C 68.0 C 60 min

The pale ale is awesome .. the bedt beer I have done. I have racked it to secondary three days ago, and I turned down the fridge to CC for a few days. It is still a little cloudy .. I think because I forgot to use the Irish Moss, but I am hoping that CC will clear it up a little.

The reason I want to do a IPA for this brew is so I can enter into two different categories for TCB brew challenge .. one in the pale section and one in the strong ale section.

So if anyone has a suggestion for a strong, great tasting IPA half/half I would love to know the grain bill.

Thanks!!

The hop additions in that recipe are messed up too. Not sure what happend to it. I obviously messed with something without realising.

Goldings 15 min

Challenger 5 min

Sorry

Back