I Love Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
I've been drinking a nice (allgrain) APA lately, which I was very happy with but keep finding myself thinking how it could be better with a bit of "this" and some more of "that". It was getting me down a bit that I kept thinking of how the beer could be better, rather than appreciating it for what it is.

We went out for tea last night and before we left, my wife was gasbagging on the phone so i thought I'd sneak a quick half pint before we headed out. Due to some air in the lines it was about half head, so I necked it and left the froth in the glass, then left.

At dinner I had a few pints of Coopers Pale Ale which weren't really presented that well (bit too warm and undercarbed).

Arrived home and noticed that the froth I had left behind 2 hours earlier had changed back into about a centimetre or two of liquid beer, so not wanting to waste my hard made beer, I thought I'd drink it to see how it was.

OMIGOD - I could taste hops, I could tase malt, the flavour was bursting in my mouth. It really blew me away. The comparison between drinking the Coopers Pale Ale (which is no bad beer by an measure) and my 2hr old flat APA really reassured me about how good beer can be.

It was a really nice moment for me *sniff* so of course, I headed back to the keg to celebrate :) This really is a great hobby, and I've learnt a new lesson to stop being too critical and just enjoy what I make too.

Well said, beer is to enjoy... I know I enjoy it!

Cheers,
Jarrad

I think that there is a real philosophical point here (no, not joking). I know my brews are out of sight compared to my 84 year old mate down the road who, wait for it, takes 1 can Cooper's lager, adds 1kg sugar, and ferments in a plastic bucket with a Woolies bag on top. But I know he can enjoy drinking his brews more then I enjoy mine sometimes. The endless pursuit of excellence can diminish the pleasure of the present.

Boots said:
It was a really nice moment for me *sniff* so of course, I headed back to the keg to celebrate :) This really is a great hobby, and I've learnt a new lesson to stop being too critical and just enjoy what I make too.
[post="68951"][/post]​

Indeed a dangerous practice Boots. It's always hard to stop at one. :party:

Warren -

As usual, wise words from Boots ;) The pursuit of improvement is important, but so is enjoying the here and now. A difficult balancing act. I think I might have to enjoy a Bitter and a Kolsch when I get home :lol:

Shawn.

Kolsch first Shawn! Remeber light to dark... Don't want to mute those tastebuds. :chug:

Luxury. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Might make it 2 Kolsches and a Bitter then ;) In that order, just to keep Warren happy :lol:

Shawn.

Hmmm....

Better to be safe than sorry. Dilute at a ratio of 3:1 :beerbang:

Even better results can be achieved as thus... Now where did I place my drinking swatches? :unsure:

3 Kolsch, 2 Bitter & 1 Porter. :party:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back